Discuss central heating cleaning chemicals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ,

Just wondering about the likes of Fernox F1/F3 etc - is it better to add to a system and let it run for a week or so and then powerflush or is it OK to just treat on the day of the flush. Don't fancy having to make a double trip every time

thanks

dave

ps intend to flush out with a Fernox Powerflow MK3

Personally
For really bad systems, I dose with f5 or x400 a week or so before the flush.
But oviously now that we are coming to the warmer weather, when heating not on as much, bit pointless doing that, so treat on day.

Slight hi-jack of thread, sorry!

If you have a central heating system where parts of the pipework are very old (30+ years), is it fine just to circulate Fernox F5 (or the Sentinel equivalent) for a week or so and then thouroughly flush and drain through repeatedly?

I've been told that it isn't a good idea to PowerFlush an old system as it may lead to leaks.

If not PowerFlushing, should Fernox F3 be used instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tend to use F3 after a new install just to clean out system ,older systems F5, rinse out then F1. always used Fernox ! did try Sentinel once but not impressed with performance, Going to try the new F6 at home this year see if it makes a defferance.

Going to try the new F6 at home this year see if it makes a defferance.

Let us know how you get on with the F6.

I'm not too sure you'll notice the 1.2% increase in efficiency, weather variations lead too larger changes in consumption.

Edit to add: I tend to use either F1 / F5 or X100 / X800 depending on what is on the shelf in the merchants at the time, both seem to do the job. The only thing i would query is if the F5 express is the same chemical as the F5 fernox say yes, though I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Oh and out of interest, does anyone buy the larger containers of inhibitor (10 or 20 liters)

wouldn't advise a power flush had a couple mishaps on old systems doing that , can lead to more hassle than its worth

Thanks - I think I may just add Sentinel X800 to the system and allow it to circulate around for about a week and flush through a few times. Is this safe to do with modern boilers?

Ring Boiler Man and ask them, Glow-worm did not recomend at one time !

what sort of problems did you run into hammers4spanner? presumably leaks? what would you do if not a powerflush?

X800 is acid based and as such rots aluminium in a matter of hours, Worcester, Ideal and a few others use Aluminium Primary heat exchangers so not a good idea. Check the bottle too as X800 previously used to say 4 hours maximum contact time.

Exactly that ,leaks on valves and had them before small weeps under floor after only to be called back few days later with cust complaining of damp patches etc. even tho you cover yourself by explaining a possibility of this happening a cust is never happy when this occurs.Gone back to old school now ,lift rad off blast through with hose , clean water through pipework then x400 for week or as stated x800 but only for hour or so as stated its an acid ,if i can persuade cust get a filter fitted as well.

X800 is acid based and as such rots aluminium in a matter of hours, Worcester, Ideal and a few others use Aluminium Primary heat exchangers so not a good idea. Check the bottle too as X800 previously used to say 4 hours maximum contact time.
I think they must have changed the formulation as X800 now is only slightly acidic (pH=6.5).

Sentinel now make "Deposit Remover" which is very acidic (pH 3.5 in a 5% solution), with a recommended maximum two hours use for aluminium heat exchangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to central heating cleaning chemicals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back