Discuss Can you do this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

I've got a plumbing issue (not personal) and I need advice as to whether my solution will work.

I've drawn a diagram and it looks ok in theory but I'd like your comments as it's not ideal.

Ok, so custard had a new bathroom installed by a Polish.

New bath, basin, toilet and mixer shower with multiple jets.

The shower has a pump for hot water, cold is from mains feed.

Now, the upstairs hot taps to bath & basin have no pressure.

The system is gravity fed with cwsc in loft.

The shower had stopped working. I tested the pump today and there is power going to it but when demand initiated nothing happens.

The custard, who, as always wants a cheap fix wants the shower to work but also wants hot to bath/basin to have pressure also.

So, can I do this?

Can I fit a new single impeller pump, which will have a elbow off of the 22mm hot feed from cylinder, reduce to 15mm and then feed into the pump. On the other side of the pump will be a 15mm pipe going up to the shower. Off of that pipe can I use a 15x15x22mm Tee to then pipe up to connect to the other part of the 22 mm hot feed?

In essence the hot feed 22 mm pipe with have a chunk of pipe removed, routed via the pump and connected again.

I don't thinks its ideal but will it work?

In theory it should but in practice will the pump last?

She wants a salamander CT55.

Thanks for Reading and I hope it makes sense.

Rct

Anything can be made to work, once you touch this botch and botch it some more then it becomes your problem.

I would walk away. People like this must be made to realise that a skilled tradesman is worth his/her money.

Cheers, I've told her it'll cost the right money to fix it otherwise it's not for me. I think she understands me.

I'm with howsie I wouldn't get in envolved they employed a cowboy now tell them to get him back.

I got involved on a similar type of job, issues with a bad bathroom fitter. I tried to rectify it as cheaply as possible for them and to be honest it was not worth the hassle. I ended getting calls for other things not related to what I did with the finger being pointed at me as I had altered pipework etc. I wish I had just advised them at the start to re-do the whole lot properly. They probably wouldn't have gone for it but it would have caused me a lot less grief.

Yeah, I'm just feeling a bit sorry for her. She's a single mother and has been done over.

What's the best & proper way to rectify this then?

The shower definitely needs a new pump.

How would you go about getting pressure to hot bath/basin taps?

Forget cost, what's the best way?

Thx

I agree , you don't want responsibility when the hot pipework that used to be gravity leaks under the new found pressure!

Going to bite my tongue about you just saying polish as an explanation....

Don't bite your tongue, we have plenty in Slough and I've been to a few jobs where they have been, charged cheaper but bodged the job. I'm not talking about all of them. If she said it was a Taff, Scott or Chinese I'd've said that.
Cheers

Well you've given the explanation for the bad work simply as polish!
i see more botched jobs by british builders.
just say bathroom fitter!
actually thinking about it the polish chaps around here are more expensive than the british...

Anyway twin impeller pump for the shower and raise the tank as high as you can for the rest i would say.

No, I didn't give that as a reason. I simply stated the nationality of who did the work.

You've come to the conclusion that I put all polish into one basket.

I quote

'Ok, so custard had a new bathroom installed by a Polish'

I've not pointed the finger but merely stated he was Polish ;)

How come the pump connection is gonna be 15mm, i'd get a bigger pump if its to feed 3 hot outlets. also make sure the hot is via a surrey or essex flange. think ive read your post right.

The Polish tradesman put the shower in with 15mm pipe.

If I go with the job which I'm now questioning, can you recommend a pump? Single impeller.

Cheers

You can't have a pumped gravity hot with mains cold through a mixer can you? Water regulations and cross contamination hazard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you do this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back