Currently reading:
Can you do this?

Discuss Can you do this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

I've got a plumbing issue (not personal) and I need advice as to whether my solution will work.

I've drawn a diagram and it looks ok in theory but I'd like your comments as it's not ideal.

Ok, so custard had a new bathroom installed by a Polish.

New bath, basin, toilet and mixer shower with multiple jets.

The shower has a pump for hot water, cold is from mains feed.

Now, the upstairs hot taps to bath & basin have no pressure.

The system is gravity fed with cwsc in loft.

The shower had stopped working. I tested the pump today and there is power going to it but when demand initiated nothing happens.

The custard, who, as always wants a cheap fix wants the shower to work but also wants hot to bath/basin to have pressure also.

So, can I do this?

Can I fit a new single impeller pump, which will have a elbow off of the 22mm hot feed from cylinder, reduce to 15mm and then feed into the pump. On the other side of the pump will be a 15mm pipe going up to the shower. Off of that pipe can I use a 15x15x22mm Tee to then pipe up to connect to the other part of the 22 mm hot feed?

In essence the hot feed 22 mm pipe with have a chunk of pipe removed, routed via the pump and connected again.

I don't thinks its ideal but will it work?

In theory it should but in practice will the pump last?

She wants a salamander CT55.

Thanks for Reading and I hope it makes sense.

Rct

Which pump model is it? Or if you have a link to it even better!

I'm looking at a I stall guide too. Looks ok for mains feed with single impeller. Nrv is needed on hot supply after pump. Also full bore valves after pump for hot and also put one on cold. I'll need to fit a surrey flange also. I may also need to fit an anti gravity loop as the pump may need to sit at a level just above the tank. I think if I get a good size pump I can do it in 22mm to taps.

When I go up to shower it needs to go in 15mm.

Can I just put a reducing fitting on (22-15) or should I also put a prv on?

I think with your help I've got it sussed (well to price anyway).

Get
http://bit.ly/1fzh6us

75l wras cws for cold headder. You need to have a balanced hot and cold. Mains into pump won't work and a prv is pointless as the pump increases pressure and then the prv reduces it. 15mm on a shower fine. Just make sure incoming to pump 22mm on both hot and cold. No need for ISo after pump u want them before. Mfr normally has them on the hoses

you dont want the shower pump to be a lot more than ur mains because then it will be unbalanced, pump manufacturers then recommend the install as said regarding twin pump. just have a quick check of the mains pressure a 2.5 pump should be ok like idchappy said.

Yep, 2.5 bar it is. Thanks everyone. I've enjoyed researching this. I'll price it up and see what she says. Thanks again.

RCT

You are not actually going to fit single impeller against mains? I'm sorry but that is pointless. Mains pressure is all over also what happens when the garden tap or washing machienes us used..... Yeh that's right kids get a 65c shower as mains pressure is lower than 2.5bar.

Quote to do it right or join the cowboy firm and just copy them.

Best to fit better pump make then and stay away from mains.

Yep, I agree, if she wants it done it'll cost.

I've just sent her a text saying the same and a rough price, I'm not going to price it until she accepts the price in the ballpark.

Why not rip out the pump and stick an electric shower in and install an unvented cylinder?

That's got to be my favourite design solution so far. £150 electric shower and a £4k unvented setup. Why not throw in some solar thermal on the unvented just to keep cost of showers down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you do this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock