Currently reading:
bathrooms

Discuss bathrooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

quality

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I hate with a passion and almost never touch them, I finished a heating job yesterday, from an old solid fuel rayburn (leaking) new boiler unvented etc. and the customer says can you JUST change the taps in the bathroom while your here. Does everyone hate changing bath taps or is it just me?

Haven't read your report but I know I did use PVA once, and the rest of the tub is still in garage. I know I will never use it again. Two days after tiling, I could literally prise tile off wall. It came clean off with adhessive stuck to tiles. I wasn't impressed.

Tiling straight onto floorboards?!? No. At least 12mm ply.

And for tiling walls, nothing beats this:

Febond Blue Grit

But yeah, hate bathrooms. Only do them in the summer. Make a shedload of money on them mind.

Haven't read your report but I know I did use PVA once, and the rest of the tub is still in garage. I know I will never use it again. Two days after tiling, I could literally prise tile off wall. It came clean off with adhessive stuck to tiles. I wasn't impressed.

No away!
I’m not saying PVA will not work. In olden days tillers would use it all day long. I just don’t use it for this purpose, cos there’s much better primer to do the job - acrylic primer. Why not?

anyone know if they teach apprentices about the pitfalls of bathrooms in college ?

Or is it still a case of heres your bath /basin/bog plumb away

Best practice in my opinion is to overprice bathrooms

Got one coming up where they want me to change the window in the bathroom lol gonna be fun

No pva and no tiling on top of floor boards imho

If you are not a fan of tiling on a floor boards, I understand that, you don’t have to. I’ve done it and will do it again when I need to. If threre's a need, with a right gear it can be done.

BAL single part fastflex
Most substrates including:

Asphalt (suitable grade e.g. flooring)
Concrete, cement:sand screeds and rendering
Existing vinyl tiles, unglazed ceramic tiles, quarry tiles, terrazzo and natural stone
Fibre reinforced cement boards and lightweight tile backer boards
Tongued and grooved floorboards
Underfloor heating

I know what you're saying, it can be done. But for the fairly little amount of time and money it takes to put some ply down, seems a bit silly not to. No-one I know would even dream of putting tiles straight onto boards, fancy adhesive or not.
I'd be thinking about the future too; going to be way easier in the future to lift the tiles then the ply and start again then spend days scraping all that ****e off the floorboards!

I’d say BAL is Rolls Royce of tile adhesives.
Teach an old dog new tricks!?
I resign from this thread.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one although I don't doubt it's good gear. Every dog to his own pile of poo, horses for courses and all that

I quite enjoy bathrooms to be honest. I price for stripping them all out to bare flooring joists and new plasterboard on stud walls/plaster skim. If the customer doesn't want to pay for that they can get someone else in!

I love bathrooms! Guaranteed work for 2 weeks, great profit margins, less talking to customer!! Just hate silicone!! Wish there was another way?? Great job satisfaction too!! Boilers are a pain as customer begs you to squeeze them in yet they never seen grateful that you have just put a great system in that they can control while they are asleep and switch on before they get up and control the temperature at different times of day!! And you flushed it properly for them so they don't have any problems and you added a magnetic filter for extra protection!! Do they appreciate all that?? Not really!! Do they appreciate a powerful shower!! Definitely!!

18mm ply cross bonded glued and screwed.

2 layers if you want a good job. Or batton along length of joist so it's 18mm lower than top of joist. Cut ply to fit between joists Screw it all in. Ensure first fix is perfect

Next sand tops of joists with belt sander. Trowel out expanding glue. Lay on 18mm hard wood ply with a decent face. Screw it down. Wait 24h. Shave off the spillage with a sharp chisel. Prime the floor. Boom

Last edited by a moderator:

2 layers if you want a good job. Or batton along length of joist so it's 18mm lower than top of joist. Cut ply to fit between joists Screw it all in. Ensure first fix is perfect

Next sand tops of joists with belt sander. Trowel out expanding glue. Lay on 18mm hard wood ply with a decent face. Screw it down. Wait 24h. Shave off the spillage with a sharp chisel. Prime the floor. Boom
holy moly !!!!!! no wonder you don't like bathrooms ermin!! if you're putting that much work into the floor? I'm considering not renewing my gas safe in 2 yrs times as i get so many bathrooms to do and I'm quite good at them and no where near as many regs and hoops to jump through unlike htg /gas work and I make very good money outta them, and I don't even bother suppling the sanitary ware as I can't be rrrsd to sit there while they're huming and haaing over poxy vanity units etc I LOVE BATHROOMS there I've said it

I hate fitting the sanitary love the rest. Would first fix and rip out 24/7/365. It's just like heating. I literally fit heating and that's it now. ( odd favour but not a commercial activity)

holy moly !!!!!! no wonder you don't like bathrooms ermin!! if you're putting that much work into the floor? I'm considering not renewing my gas safe in 2 yrs times as i get so many bathrooms to do and I'm quite good at them and no where near as many regs and hoops to jump through unlike htg /gas work and I make very good money outta them, and I don't even bother suppling the sanitary ware as I can't be rrrsd to sit there while they're huming and haaing over poxy vanity units etc I LOVE BATHROOMS there I've said it

If I'm making 30% profit on all the sanitaryware I supply I'm more than happy to sit there while they choose! We only do supply and fit now as fit only customers tend to want a much cheaper price and so we make much less profit for our 2 weeks work. It's a no-brainer for me.

I get what you're saying croft, but I got sick of it in the end.1 woman had me around 3 evenings for a total of 8 hours, she was the last one I did it for

Are you ill?

I don't mind bathrooms, if I'm doing them start to finish full rip out I alow two weeks on day rate with the exception it might take longer if theres unforeseen complications

Ive been bathroom fitting for a good chunk of my working life and have always loved it with good money to be earnt was earning 1000 per week in 1998 still only earning that now an av fit here is app 1400 inc wall tiling,bath,shower over,wc,whb,towel rail needs to be done in 6 days just to make wage after deductions for materials.I seriously need to increase rates ..brum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to bathrooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock