Discuss Are some of our brethren authoring our own downfall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, with a £25 pm maintenance plan, and the usual bonus incentives to staff for any extra work that happens to come out of ncs or 'obsolete' parts!!

As ever some out there do not know their worth. chatting to my merchant recently revealed a local lad who never charged for diagnosing a boiler fault but only the time on the return vist to repair it, how mad is that. I was could a cowboy last week for quoting a load of work that was done by the builder later and she objected to me charging £55 to cut off a hob ready for new kitchen. I still had to get there, provide an end cap tightness test etc etc. Normally it would be £65 for the first hour, but I felt kind that day!!!!!!!!!!

Have look at pimlico prices and reduce accordingly but not too much, your worth more than you think. I am not cheap according to people round here, but Im still working away and dont have to work as hard as those charging peanuts to earn a living, Means I get more time at home with the missus and her horses:)

Yes, with a £25 pm maintenance plan, and the usual bonus incentives to staff for any extra work that happens to come out of ncs or 'obsolete' parts!!

Are you suggesting that their business model might not be concentrating on customer satisfaction ahead of shareholder satisfaction.
Surely not.

Surely this type of talk is for the Arms?

Had a reply ready to post and noticed just in time.................

If I'm not mistaken, Which? is supposed to be consumer focused research group letting people know what they should expect to pay for services. Here's their breakdown for plumbers:

Which? Local - Plumbers: how much should you pay? in Plumbers advice

Some of the price ranges in there seem reasonable to me. Any customer who gets a quote from their plumber which is somewhere between those in the price range bracket should be snapping their plumbers' arm off and asking how many sugars they take.

Couple of years ago our LA servicing contract for school fan convectors worked out at about £3/heater per year, to open up, clean out, check over and close up again. When checked, found some interesting bits inside some heaters, including a crisp packet from about 10 years before!

If I'm not mistaken, Which? is supposed to be consumer focused research group letting people know what they should expect to pay for services. Here's their breakdown for plumbers:

Which? Local - Plumbers: how much should you pay? in Plumbers advice

Some of the price ranges in there seem reasonable to me. Any customer who gets a quote from their plumber which is somewhere between those in the price range bracket should be snapping their plumbers' arm off and asking how many sugars they take.

:oops: According to these figures I'm charging between 10% and 20% too little, not for much longer. Thanks Keefy, a really useful post.

Why, we shouldn't be shamed of what we charge.

Mike,

I believe you will never find me ashamed of what I charge, in fact I am very proud of the fact that my lowest "Guide Rates" would be at the upper end of the Price Range (+) published in the "Which" Survey.

What I found inappropriate (can't think of a nicer word) is the fact some members of the public may somehow believe that Plumbers are so desperate or maybe the trade is so over run with unemployed tradesmen that they will work for less than the cost of the fuel to get to the job or the food they need to sustain themselves for the day.

Today I was in town for lunch with my father we had a nice sandwich with tea (leaves not bags) that cost €9.75 each (I know that because the change out of a €20.00 note was 50 cents), a tad on the expensive side I'm sure we could have found somewhere cheaper I would hate for him to think that lunch represented 5 hours pay !

I honestly can't see how any plumber could be working for less than minimum pay I think in Ireland that is around €8.50 an hour, in fact I would not want such a person working in my home or working for me in customers homes.

Couple of years ago our LA servicing contract for school fan convectors worked out at about £3/heater per year, to open up, clean out, check over and close up again. When checked, found some interesting bits inside some heaters, including a crisp packet from about 10 years before!

Did some work in a few schools last year they had a company in checking the undersink water heaters the charge worked out at something like £2.00 each when I checked the access panels none had been removed just had a sticker on giving date of service, scandalous when there are children involved!

The councils know fine well the work can't be done for the prices but that doesn't stop some of the big players going in for it. Connaught were one good example of what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are some of our brethren authoring our own downfall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back