Currently reading:
ARCHOVED Magic Heating Box - Magic Thermodynamics Box

Discuss ARCHOVED Magic Heating Box - Magic Thermodynamics Box in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Centralheatking

This is not April 1 - so it could be serious.

look up .......magicthermodynamicsbox on google some outfit is offering this
c/h balancing unit unit for sale @ £13,000 ! -

see what you think

centralheatking..........:whatchutalkingabout

Last edited by a moderator:
Magic Heating Box

Anyone come across these? An elderly client was about to fork out £13,000 for one until I advised her not to. It's not just the price, though - surely the whole thing is impractical? Or is there any chance it might have some effect?

Not allowed to post the url, but Google "Magic Heating Box" and loads of links come up.

Re: Magic Heating Box

They're manufactured in Chelmsford and there are only two distributors, both seem to be linked to the manufacturer.

Magic Heating Box - Magic Thermodynamics Box

£13K!!!

Had a v quick look at the site... what exactly is it? A glorified LLH come heat pump???

On first glance it's not clear to me, but at £13k, the return on investment is going to be a long long time

This is not April 1 - so it could be serious.

look up .......magicthermodynamicsbox on google some outfit is offering this
c/h balancing unit unit for sale @ £13,000 ! -

see what you think

centralheatking..........:whatchutalkingabout

Defo maybe an overpromise......physics cannot be cheated but this design is nothing new. If there is a lot of solar energy available then this sort of thing can work but there is a reason why this type of kit works well in Greece but not in Yorkshire.

It would have been featured in one of the industry magazines by now, I don't remember ever hearing about it before. And if it's £13,000 then I want £7,000 to fit one.

Magic Heating Box is a revolutionary central heating management system brought together by the Magic Thermodynamic Box company. From it's humble beginnings, we brought together 2 Irish inventors who unknowingly lived 20 miles apart to combine efforts and create this amazing new central heating management system.

didnt know they existed?lol

The company were registered at Companies House 27/11/2012.

The products seem to solve problems which arise from:
1. water in UFH system when it is over 50 C
2. water in radiator central Heating system returning at over 55 C when there is a condensing boiler installed.

So are these real problems?
I am an office person so What would I know?
I can't imagine having UFH with water at such a high temperature but perhaps people do?.
And as far as I know modern return temperatures are much lower (it is in my house anyway).
Perhaps in the field you find these are real problems for many of your customers?

And there is another box which magically produces cheap hot water...but I got bored of reading, sorry

There is this company too:
[DLMURL="http://www.supersealltd.co.uk/about-us/"]SuperSeal Home Improvements | About Us[/DLMURL] Date of Incorporation: 26/07/2010

They're manufactured in Chelmsford and there are only two distributors, both seem to be linked to the manufacturer.

What about this claim?

"The Magic Heating Box will reduce your heating bills by 30% in a standard radiator centrally heated house, and up to 50% on a wet underfloor heating system."

This can't possibly be true, can it?

Theres a bit that says it can make the rads heat up 70% faster and circulates water around the rad better so achieving a 1c difference from top to bottom on a convector rad. how i dont know.

Just watched the video on YouTube. Proper funny. You should see how the fitted the pumps

My mate fits them. Travels all over the country making a small fortune!

I just had a thought if you wanted to lower temp in boiler and save cash, why not turn boiler stat down. And that free not 130000

When their elderly customers are all getting new Apple iPads for being a 'good customer' it does make you wonder.
[DLMURL="http://www.supersealltd.co.uk/blog/2013/01/superseal-have-just-rewarded-mrs-hay-with-the-latest-apple-ipad-for-being-a-fantastic-customer/"]SuperSeal reward Mrs Hay with the latest edition of Apple's iPad!![/DLMURL]

Company making these were ringing local plumbers recently, inviting them to come to chelmsford to hear a "presentation" on the box, they were claiming to pay us to install them, we didn't go as felt it had to be a scam of some kind!

Look up Alistair Smit on DIRECTORCHECK also director of MAD(Holdings)Ltd. I don't believe in magic.

There are two thread about these magic boxes - confusing me,

From what I understand the saving is because the return water is at a lower temperature it keeps the boiler in efficient condensing mode.
As contrasted to hot water flowing around at 80-70 degrees.

It is not just about turning the heating stat down for a cooler house.

I don't know if householders know how to change the temperature of the flow & return but surely the heating engineer who installed the condensing boiler would have set it to the correct low temperature?

I haven't studied the figures so I could have missed something!

whats in the box is it a heat exchanger or is it full of gold ingots, how can it increase the flow rate through the system?

whats in the box is it a heat exchanger or is it full of gold ingots, how can it increase the flow rate through the system?

Got to be ingots, it's 2k cheaper than last month. Price of gold is at it's lowest since Sept 2011.

Look up Alistair Smit on DIRECTORCHECK also director of MAD(Holdings)Ltd. I don't believe in magic.

One of the firms selling this gadget is Green Home Energy Ltd - Director Thomas Callaghan, who apparently has previous:

"Once upon a time, Lee Comer was a plumber. But he has come a long way since those days. He is now a company director and lives in a beautiful thatched cottage in Dorset complete with its own stables.

How did he make his money? Answer: out of pensioners like Wendy Hammett.
Mrs Hammett, 66, a former secretary, paid Comer's firm, Simplee Solar, more than £10,000 for solar panels at her bungalow outside Bournemouth.

article-1274784-05347FF60000044D-697_468x668.jpg
Controversy: Lee Comer (standing) and Tom Callaghan of Simplee Solar were fined a total of £40,000 (with £27,000 costs) at Bournemouth Crown Court for supplying and offering goods to which a false trade description applied

The system, she was promised, would slash her gas and electric bills by 70 per cent. It was a lie.
'It has ended up costing me more,' she said. She is not alone. Other elderly customers of Simplee Solar suffered a similar fate.
In 2006, Comer and his partner Tom Callaghan were fined a total of £40,000 (with £27,000 costs) at Bournemouth Crown Court for supplying and offering goods to which a false trade description applied. That's the legal term for cowboy tactics.

It's most probably full of platinum at that price.

I am always suspicious of any "magic" product, particularly when the sales channel is direct to the householder.

If their technology stood up to expert inspection, why not sell it through conventional channels?

A few months ago there was someone posting on the forum with some new "magic" energy saving product (not this one). I spoke to them on the phone, and it was clear that the sales director didn't even understand schoolboy physics. Then their "technical director" phoned me, and could not answer basic arithmetical questions about his published efficiency calculations, and had never heard of "SEDBUK" ratings. I struggled to believe such poorly substantiated claims.

Just in case someone reads this thread because they are considering buying a "magic solution" product of any sort, please take this advice from someone who has been selling heating equipment for nearly three decades.

There are no magic solutions. The best way to save energy is to have a well designed system, with appropriate controls (take the trouble to find out how they work!) fitted by a competent installer in a well insulated property. The optimum system design will depend on your property, lifestyle and budget - this can't be determined over the phone, or via the internet.

Here's a photo of a "Magic Heating Box" installed. (Are you supposed to have a balanced flue installed right under an airbrick?)

[DLMURL="http://www.supersealltd.co.uk/blog/2013/04/mr-and-mrs-brown-install-new-revolutionary-magic-heating-box/"][FONT=&amp][/FONT][/DLMURL][DLMURL]http://www.supersealltd.co.uk/blog/2013/04/mr-and-mrs-brown-install-new-revolutionary-magic-heating-box/[/DLMURL]

Here's a photo of a "Magic Heating Box" installed. (Are you supposed to have a balanced flue installed right under an airbrick?)

[DLMURL="http://www.supersealltd.co.uk/blog/2013/04/mr-and-mrs-brown-install-new-revolutionary-magic-heating-box/"]Mr and Mrs Brown install new revolutionary Magic Heating Box!! |[/DLMURL]
The is just speil and that pump is a no no in my opinion.

[DLMURL="http://www.supersealltd.co.uk/blog/2013/04/mr-and-mrs-brown-install-new-revolutionary-magic-heating-box/"]Mr and Mrs Brown install new revolutionary Magic Heating Box!! |[/DLMURL]

If that pic is one of the better installs I'd be very worried!

The speil is bullocks and that pump is a no no

Definitely. Reading the article is the customer not just experiencing the benefits of a flushed system with new radiator valves?

Dont forget the AAV @ £1.00 each ! There is an important lesson here - which is as Ray pointed out there are no magic solutions and just cause something is patented does not mean it is suitable or economical.

centralheatking

I'd like to see the inside of that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ARCHOVED Magic Heating Box - Magic Thermodynamics Box in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock