Search the forum,

Discuss Apprenticeship Termination in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Sfc

Evening all, Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong section etc!

I took on an Apprentice for my business in February 2021 in the hope of getting a lad through & qualified etc. Unfortunately it's just not working due to a number of factors, Mainly it not being financially sustainable for the business with the cost of living etc. Also, Progression wise he's really not at a standard i would've liked him to have been at at this stage into the training. I feel really guilty as he's such a nice lad, Has never given me any problems or issues but struggles with very basic tasks still which obviously means i can't get him into anything more or technical as much as we've tried.

I just wondered if anyone had done anything like this before ie - Terminated an apprenticeship early and how best to go about it in a professional manner etc

Thanks for any help and advice

Cheers

Apprentices are employees so you need to go through the proper (ACAS approved) processes or risk being take to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal. Some apprentice contracts give the apprentice additional rights that go beyond standard employment terms. You should get some legal advice and do so quickly because the 'two-year rule' clock is about to run out on you. Also, discuss the issues you are having with the College / Training provider.

Apprentices are employees so you need to go through the proper (ACAS approved) processes or risk being take to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal. Some apprentice contracts give the apprentice additional rights that go beyond standard employment terms. You should get some legal advice and do so quickly because the 'two-year rule' clock is about to run out on you. Also, discuss the issues you are having with the College / Training provider.
That’s great thanks for the insight, I will follow this up asap, I hadn’t heard or seen anything about a 2 year rule previously!

The two-year rule may or may not apply to your apprentice depending on what the contractual position(s) are. What's sure is that once two years have passed it's a moot point. Also, training providers don't like employers getting buyer's remorse so you may find your options are constrained by the agreement you have with them.

Can you not just claim what you said in your OP.

Mainly it not being financially sustainable for the business with the cost of living

Can you not terminate an employee due to business downturn? Financial Hardship?

Reply to Apprenticeship Termination in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock