Discuss 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice/reassurance. My boiler had its second annual service today and the (gas safe) engineer recorded a 0.5mb drop on the tightness test. He assured my partner that this was nothing to worry about but as I wasn't home at the time I just wanted reassurance that this is okay? British Gas did the first service and it was nowhere near as comprehensive as carried out today. I suspect this result would have appeared first time around but either the test wasn't carried out or it wasn't recoreded.

As we only have the boiler and hob running on gas is there anyway this "leak" can be located? Isolate the applicances indivually? Sniffer test? Or is this harder to find than a needle in a haystack?

And lastly, is this likely to be increasing our gas bill?

I should say the engineer was in no way worried and has signed off job sheet as safe so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Thanks,

Yes, you would need to otherwise you will ruin the appliances. You can only test them via there operating pressure as you know. But when it comes to testing the pipework throughout the property when installed new then you will need to use the appropriate fittings to cap them off and test them with higher pressure ( but that’s the way we do it in Germany ). We do 2 test before bedding pipes into the concrete, load testing ( 1bar with air or N ) for 30min -1hour and then a 15 min test leak test.

Sorry but it is difficult to explain german terms in English. I think you can’t be careful enough when it comes to gas. I know it’s done differently here and I do whatever is required but I would wish few things would be different.

dont want to be rude but your / were not in germany doesnt matter what the german standards are there not ours

If I can decipher his posts, I think the gas pipework in his home country is welded and welded joints can be terrible, so it makes sense to test at much higher pressure
Yes back in Germany we have steel pipe, malleable pipes, copper pipes which could be welded, screwed or crimped. So I am just trying to say that it would be good if we had 0 tolerances as well as checking pipes slightly different. But as we know it is different in each country. I think you would find much more leaks when pipes are tested with higher pressure and it would just help to rectify the leaks before something horrible happens.

dont want to be rude but your / were not in germany doesnt matter what the german standards are there not ours
You aren’t rude. You are quite right and I agree with that. I was just mentioning my own opinion as we had a discussed about zero tolerances. I just tried to explain few more things in depth. But if you understand my point of view I think you would agree with me that I am not so wrong.

If I can decipher his posts, I think the gas pipework in his home country is welded and welded joints can be terrible, so it makes sense to test at much higher pressure
welded should be better than any soldered joint!

We should test at 20mb to avoid regulator lockout and not testing pioework the other side of it

We should test at 20mb to avoid regulator lockout and not testing pioework the other side of it
You are right scott. I know that and that’s you would not be able to test the pipework with higher pressures. You would need to test them without having anything connected. We also check only the downstream side of it

Not everyone can weld, lots of people can solder. Soldering is easy... you can pretty heat the front of the fitting and add solder... job done( usually)
Try welding a small pipe with tig/ stick / mig

Different story..

So no, welded joints could potentially leak

Not everyone can weld, lots of people can solder. Soldering is easy... you can pretty heat the front of the fitting and add solder... job done( usually)
Try welding a small pipe with tig/ stick / mig

Different story..

So no, welded joints could potentially leak
Agree with you. Welding is practing it comes with time. You will need to do it very regularly to have a good decent weld done which doesn’t leak. Do you actually learn welding in apprenticeships? I remember we had to bend steel pipe with sand, welding joints, soldering copper, brazing, ... using basically all kind of materials and fittings.

Reply to 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Replies
Views
ShowerSmellProblems
S

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock