Currently reading:
Who fits bathrooms

Discuss Who fits bathrooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballandco

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just wondering who fits bathrooms and who gives them a wide birth?Do you do the whole bathroom yourself or do you do the plumbing and get a tiler in . I was doing a lot of bathrooms last year and basically got fed up with them , to time consuming and a lot of work involved - I was doing everything .This year I decided not to take on bathrooms so have not advertised this service , problem being I'm noticing the phones not ringing as much as it was , don't get me wrong in still busy but feel I'm missing out money wise ,I'm thinking of taking them back on but only doing the plumbing , is this the way you are tending to do them and if so has anyone got any good tilers number who work in Surrey / South london area ?

staring at the same 4 walls day after day. sniffing the urine and soap slime embeded everywhere. climbing up and down stairs countless times a day.opening packages of materials to find some right chineese tat you need a degree in mandolin to understand. snorting grout off your clothes on the way home. customer changes their mind and want it diffrent. job takes longer thsan you thought and its on a quote. you take up the floor boards for the shower trap to find live 1950's conduit criss-crossing where you want to go. theres not enough adjustment on the shower enclosure as the walls too far out square.
the 4 jobs you turned down that morning to top up a boilr, fit a ballcock, tap washer and unblock a sink would have grosed £140 clear proffit and home by 3pm!.
then you realise 9-6pm your average daily quote for the bathroom is only £160 a day!! and you have to do it all again tomorrowXXXXXffs

those are the good points, what are the Bad Red?

staring at the same 4 walls day after day. sniffing the urine and soap slime embeded everywhere. climbing up and down stairs countless times a day.opening packages of materials to find some right chineese tat you need a degree in mandolin to understand. snorting grout off your clothes on the way home. customer changes their mind and want it diffrent. job takes longer thsan you thought and its on a quote. you take up the floor boards for the shower trap to find live 1950's conduit criss-crossing where you want to go. theres not enough adjustment on the shower enclosure as the walls too far out square.
the 4 jobs you turned down that morning to top up a boilr, fit a ballcock, tap washer and unblock a sink would have grosed £140 clear proffit and home by 3pm!.
then you realise 9-6pm your average daily quote for the bathroom is only £160 a day!! and you have to do it all again tomorrowXXXXXffs

You forgot to mention eating your sandwiches after wrestling with a multikwick.

I fit bathrooms, I don't supply any ware as too much headaches when things come damaged, ( and they do ) , I do a lot of wet wall or multi panel but don't tile anymore, granted there's more physical work involved but the satisfaction of the finished product can be great, don't get me wrong I'd rather fit boilers everyday of the week but when can't control the types of jobs were offered and I hate turning away work,

£30 an hour on bathrooms, no quote !!! just an estimate , it takes as long as it takes.
'Never say never jon' ....... I am defo stopping doing them lol

This is probably why phone goes mad when I advertise bathrooms cos no 1 wants to do them . I think I will put them back up but get a good team of tradesmen together before , seems stupid letting money go

Have you been spying on me for the past few years??

Just completed my 1st year being self employed and bathrooms have kept me going, but am getting bored bored of them. My prices are increasing after each one as I realise what a pain they are and how hard it is to find a good tradesman to work with.

Just completed my 1st year being self employed and bathrooms have kept me going, but am getting bored bored of them. My prices are increasing after each one as I realise what a pain they are and how hard it is to find a good tradesman to work with.

Just completed 10 years and bathrooms are still a pain in the bottom.

we've got two on the go atm one where just doing the plumbing and fitting the china

and one where were doing the whole room, new floor dot an dabbed all walls so nice and square for me to tile, laying the lion, new window in everything except plastering, get our plaster in for that £45 to skim the ceiling 3x3m room, not worth me even trying,
Do it n day rate though so no money stress usually takes under two weeks if doing everything

Do probably 10 a year at a guess I like em but as mentioned guarantee phone will ring as soon as you start 1 a, started one yesterday tiles out ceiling tacked boxing built pipes altered bath levelled started tiling this afternoon and plasterer been in this afternoon to skim ceiling

Just checked theres no much atall ,

I hate bathrooms to many unknowns when pricing and if you price up to do everything people look at you in horror.

I did 2 bathrooms in 1 house a few years back and that was 1 month of pure hell because my boss used rough trades to do everything.

The granite bloke wouldn't measure up the granite as the basin wasn't in place, I tried to explain to him that the basin is half sunk into the granite so I can't fit it until you fit the granite but he couldn't get his head around it, in the end we had the boss out there to measure up.

The tiler was the worst he dot and dabbed the tiles and when we drilled them they just fell off the walls followed by a few others. This was near the end of the 2nd bathroom so the customer wanted the tiles taken off in the first one and redone to make sure they were done properly.

The floor was rotten under the bath bits missing left right and center and just a generally miserable customer. Even though she never moaned about me and the apprentice it was the rest.

I just fitted a bathroom in which I quoted 8700 pound. Then we persuaded them to have extras like a false ceiling, floor levelled and tiled. New soil pipe put in. Then, while taking old sanware out all the lath and plaster fell off the walls. So aqua boarded the walls as well. Final invoice I gave them today was 15K. I was expecting them to complain and ask to see all receipts and so and so. And, it couldn't have gone better. Said she was expecting it to be more!!!

And, her neighbour looked at it and wants me to do her little shower room. Chuffed. Have got to quote for 4 bathrooms now.

I just fitted a bathroom in which I quoted 8700 pound. Then we persuaded them to have extras like a false ceiling, floor levelled and tiled. New soil pipe put in. Then, while taking old sanware out all the lath and plaster fell off the walls. So aqua boarded the walls as well. Final invoice I gave them today was 15K. I was expecting them to complain and ask to see all receipts and so and so. And, it couldn't have gone better. Said she was expecting it to be more!!!

And, her neighbour looked at it and wants me to do her little shower room. Chuffed. Have got to quote for 4 bathrooms now.

It's good to hear there are such understanding customers out there. Until this year I was doing between 9 and 12 bathrooms a year and they all wanted them done as cheap as poss. although most understood when something unforeseen raised it's head, as it usually does.

i hate that when they say i thought it would cost more !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Who fits bathrooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back