Discuss Vertical Flue Termination in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriestyUK

Gas Engineer
Hi lads, just been to price a job to replace a OLD big bad boy Ferroli combi boiler which is in a habitable loft space. My problem is the current vertical flue terminates in between two opening velux windows 900mm one side and 400mm the other, pretty much in line, not above them and not below them. Told him this is unsafe and wont meet current standards when I install the new boiler (Viessmann 100-W 30kW Combi) His a chippy by trade, if he converted these windows properly to not open ever again and not by just thumping in a few screws would this then pass reg wise? His not keen on relocating the boiler to be fair Current boiler is proper ducked, and I have isolated and made safe anyhow. Pretty much got the job as his a good mate but your views will be greatly welcomed :)

No you cant as when he sells the place and newbies reopen the windows then what, why not use some 45s and reroute the flue to a safe termination. In case you think you can get away with it, take note a gsr chappie is now doing time for a similar thing when someone then died in a cornish hotel

then you had better find an alternative or your bum will be hung out to dry if it goes wrong in years to come

if the windows are fixed and require tools and work to open them then id be happy. If somebody else moves in and puts in new windows then they have broken the regs, not the person fitting the boiler years before. Put something in writing to cover yourself, take pictures etc.....

i could fit a boiler and next week some builder could fit a vent next to the flue, whos fault is it? not blummin mine. We are all responsible for our own actions, if i brake the electrical regs i cant blame the spark who was last there.

Last edited:
seems to me there are a few issues to this story, he used the wrong flue terminal? he was only guilty of breaching the regs not causing the death?

no mention of the window company? mmmm......

one contradiction i find strange is extractor fans, they are fitted by sparks without no concern for the effects on open flued appliances. So whos to fault in that situation? the last guy to service the fire before the fan was fitted? or the sparks? or the fan manufacturere for not stating open flued appliances must not be used until check after the installation?

having taken quite an interest being fairly close he copped it as the flue was adjacent to an opening, sealed or not, if he had bricked up the window, no issue to him so the op could get the veluxes out and tile the roof and talke phots to be sure:)

Im with lame on this as live down by cornwall and recall this story so imho its not worth the hassle do it properly in first instance.

Or how would you feel you seal the windows shut get owner to sign paper saying never ever going to re-open window and you walk away with nice sum of money . Two weeks later they get the gsr paperwork through and they decide to take up offer of free inspection and they condemn termination and you get letter saying relocate flue .

I bet you any money you would be doing it for nothing then so just as well do it properly first instance

From reading that story it sounds as though they used the wrong terminal (Vertical flue kit for horizontal termination) and nailed the window shut. If the window had of been replaced with a non opening window and the correct termination had been used then they would not of been in breach of the regs.

I understand what your saying about not taking chances but if you did everything with what ifs you would never fit an appliance again because what if a builder comes in and builds an extension over a flue. We can only work with whats there now not what could be done in the future. If you talk to the customer and they say about any future plans then obviously you can work round it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical Flue Termination in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock