Discuss updated regulations, where to find them?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys and girls.
Ive been plumbing for about 7years in total and recently had to renew my ccn1 and ckr1. I struggled a bit with the updates to regulations. I've got a few corgi books and a vipergas book but the assessor told me I need new ones. My questions are as follows...
What edition is the gas safety regulations on. And what is the best material to buy? Ive also been told by my oftec assessor that there are amendments to regulations that I am missing but I cant seem to find then anywhere. Any help will be much appreciated and my confidence greatly boosted. Many thanks in advance, im looking forward to your replies.

You should know this but OFTEC here - OFTEC - Technical Book Updates

And gas in here - [DLMURL]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/EngineerLogin.aspx[/DLMURL]

Not only that you should be getting new books on your reassessment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you can sign up to get the oftec updates notified through email, then just print them off and stick into your existing books. It's been nearly five years though so I might just have imagined that.

Thankyou both for your reply. I had books on my initial assessments but nothing eversince. I tried good old google a few times but never got anywhere, didnt think of the main sites. Thanks again

oftec updates are online and all the books should be available when doing your exams anyhow, plus gas safe give all their updates on line as well

If you book in to to the refresher training you get updated books. I always do the refresher training despite working with gas on an almost daily basis as you always get a heads up on what's changed over the last 5 years.

You should know this but OFTEC here - OFTEC - Technical Book Updates

And gas in here - [DLMURL]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/EngineerLogin.aspx[/DLMURL]

Not only that you should be getting new books on your reassessment.

Sadly this used to be the case but the last few courses I have attended the centres send you a list of what you need !
I think the days of free books are long gone ?
When I did my level 2 we had to buy our own books level 3 was even worse as you then had to buy gas books and unvented etc !
I used to send my lads on safety courses etc and all books were supplied then !
Always made me laugh as had to fill out a questionaire at the end of the course and it asked which part did you find the hardest so always answered ! STAYING AWAKE !
Remember doing my excavator test after a classroom session jumped on excavator started digging a hole and was passed in 30 seconds as was obvious I had done it once or twice before !
Trouble is these days everyone wants some silly sheet full of boxes ticked and crossed but take no account as to whether the guy can really do the job ?
Some people can pass any exam you throw at them but I would not trust them to get the kit out of the van let alone use it !

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2 & 3 are different.

Every training center I've gone to provides new or updated literature.

You're going to the wrong ones BD.

Level 2 & 3 are different.

Every training center I've gone to provides new or updated literature.

You're going to the wrong ones BD.

Yes probably but at the end of the day they are all businesses and it is all about the bottom line I am afraid ?
Used to be that lunch was laid on too ?
Lucky these days if they give you a cuppa ?
Think I am becoming a communist in my middle age ? lmao

Just thinking back to level 2 and remembering the tower scaffold fiasco !
The young lads all being taught to put up a tower that they cannot do on site without a PASMA ticket
Having done mine years ago I thought hang on a minute this is well out of order and realised the college hires the towers in to do it , all supplied with no manufacturers erection instructions so me being a git that night I checked and the towers had all been erected incorrectly as I suspected !

If you book in to to the refresher training you get updated books. I always do the refresher training despite working with gas on an almost daily basis as you always get a heads up on what's changed over the last 5 years.

Mike do you work for yourself?
ACS refresher training isn't really the way to keep up to speed with changes, GSR have all the updates on their site and expect the responsible person for each firm to advise all the operatives of the changes, so if you work for yourself you should check for updates, and if you are an employee you should be given info updates at toolbox talk type meetings

Yes I'm self employed and get all the updates etc. but they're not in the books that I used 5 years before and there always little bits that you don't pick up on, especially if it's on something that you do once in a blue moon. As for tool box talks, have you ever worked for a large firm? When I worked for eagaheat they never gave us a scrap of information on reg changes and half of the info they give us was wrong anyway.

I remember when medium pressure first appeared. I'd never seen, let alone worked on, a medium pressure set up before I got into the training centre. I was glad I'd done the training because we had to do a TT on a medium pressure meter.

Yes I'm self employed and get all the updates etc. but they're not in the books that I used 5 years before and there always little bits that you don't pick up on, especially if it's on something that you do once in a blue moon. As for tool box talks, have you ever worked for a large firm? When I worked for eagaheat they never gave us a scrap of information on reg changes and half of the info they give us was wrong anyway.

I remember when medium pressure first appeared. I'd never seen, let alone worked on, a medium pressure set up before I got into the training centre. I was glad I'd done the training because we had to do a TT on a medium pressure meter.

So you have full responsibility to make sure you have every update and are using it, after an event they ask why you did it that way if you are using he old way you will get into bother,
Yes I have worked for large firms, I was Scottish Gas Manager for Carillion and had 35 gas engineers all over the country and part of my job was to ensure they all had every update and we did toolbox talks every month and in between that if there was an incident,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to updated regulations, where to find them?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this is a success or a fail or just a rant but We do have heat and hot water now So all started the evening of Friday the 12th (Nov)...
Replies
Views
Good evening PlumbersForum I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it...
Replies
Views
Came across a job today and I can’t seem to find anything in my book to say it’s wrong? Basically the gas meter box is out side with an ecv and...
Replies
Views
Had a job booked in this morning, renew all rads in the property. Downstairs rads are in solid floor so customer said just change rads and alter...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock