Discuss Towel Rad Inadequate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

If I was to get rid of the towel rail and replace it with a radiator would I be looking for a convector radiator as the rest of the ones in the house are or could I go for a a more contemporary designer? Bearing in mind I am looking for an 1800mm vertical by about 400-500.

I have a few of these: Ultraheat - Tilbrook - they have decent heat outputs for the size (one of the best I could find). There are other styles too from that manufacturer. Expensive mind...

Bain of my life too Town.

Some information. Chrome plated or polished stainless warmers put out less heat than white. These are not designed to heat the space. They, unsurprisingly, are designed to warm towels.

Just look at the difference in design of a radiator and a warmer. The surface area of a radiator is what makes it an effective heat source and that's orders of magnitude more than a warmer.

If you have a cold bathroom you will need suplementary heating in the form of underfloor heating or a proper (separate) radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was to get rid of the towel rail and replace it with a radiator would I be looking for a convector radiator as the rest of the ones in the house are or could I go for a a more contemporary designer? Bearing in mind I am looking for an 1800mm vertical by about 400-500.
There are combined towel rad and convector rad available
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

What BTU rating at T50 would you suggest?

Sorry - don't do BTUs :) But in watts...

At a room size of 3x2m, 2 external walls (cavity with blown fibre insulation), double glazed, ground floor so warm ceiling, I reckon 1.5kW to 2kW of real power. So 1.5 times that for a dT-50C figure.

That's based on real life measurements (I used to heat my house with electric oil filled rads, so have a very good idea of power required).

Your mileage may vary depending on building type, insulation, windows and so on.

But with radiators, you cannot every have "too big" - so the biggest that you can get in the space is a good guide, without going completely OTT.

Beware, radiator outputs per unit area vary a lot. Double panel double finned are pretty decent. Triple panel tend to be humongous lumps.

Last edited:
Some of the vertical rads have attachments that you can hand a towel on. You will lose on radiation heat but the convection heat reduction would be minimal due to towels not blocking the airflow.

Reply to Towel Rad Inadequate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock