Currently reading:
Taking the mick?

Discuss Taking the mick? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emmam

Hello All,

Apologies from a non-plumber for picking your brains, but if you want a question answered, ask the right people!

I'm in the early stages of a renovation (four walls stone walls to renovate but nothing else) and an extension - effectively a new build. I've had a couple of prices in for the plumbing install and am a bit skeptical about the price. Not least because it's an overall figure rather than broken down costings.

Essentially a three bed house with 1 family bathroom, 1 en suite shower room, 1 downstairs WC, utility and kitchen. Separate garage with shower room in accomodation above.

The heating system is GSHP with underfloor heating upstairs and down (main house only). Can anyone give me a ball park figure of what it should be on the following basis:

All UFH/GSHP/sanitaryware/taps, etc supplied. So labour and sundries to install the system. To install GSHP (not the coils groundworking, obviously) and water cylinder, etc, install UFH, run all pipework, etc to bathrooms, connections and soilpipes to sewarage treatment plant. No guttering.

I realise it's a bit 'how long is a piece of string' but if it helps, the footprint is 116msq. An estimate for costs would be very helpful, even if you could give guides for individual parts, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance

Emma

Probably not as much as I would charge and over the top as far as you're concerned :)

Seriously though, very difficult to give any figures without seeing the job, difficulty of pipe runs, is it copper or plastic etc etc etc.

What makes you sceptical? Have you had more than one estimate?

What's so important about a broken down estimate, what info are you trying to get out of it. I don't/won't do a break down of my estimate. I put a lot of work into providing a 'free' estimate, some of that is design work, and I'm afraid that stays with me unless somebody is willing to pay me for the time to do it.

Last edited:
Ask the guys who have been for a full breakdown. Tell them job depends on it. If you are not happy then get others in who will give you the information you require. All you need to do is ask. Most would be happy to oblige. Expect more than 2 00's.

as mentioned ask for a break down, it may help you it may not :) as regards design and specifications i would personally not give them to you as other could gain from my hard work (that i have not been paid for) but i cant see a problem with a simple breakdown like sanitary= , heating= etc....

Last edited:
Impossible to price a job without seeing it. Just get a few guys in to quote and that will tell you the right price.

Try one of those websites like Rated People where you set a budget and 3 tradesmen will bid for the work and see what happens there.

Not a fan of these sites, but it should help you in this case to see who replies to you after you've set a budget for them to work to.

Probably not as much as I would charge and over the top as far as you're concerned :)

Seriously though, very difficult to give any figures without seeing the job, difficulty of pipe runs, is it copper or plastic etc etc etc.

What makes you sceptical? Have you had more than one estimate?

What's so important about a broken down estimate, what info are you trying to get out of it. I don't/won't do a break down of my estimate. I put a lot of work into providing a 'free' estimate, some of that is design work, and I'm afraid that stays with me unless somebody is willing to pay me for the time to do it.

What's so important about a broken down estimate? I'm not asking for his trade secrets, but I don't think expecting an estimate that says 'Cost for installing GSHP = £**,' or 'Cost for installing UFH =£**', is too much to ask.
Perhaps I live in a different world but I wouldn't expect to go to a restaurant and get given a total bill at the end.
Thanks for your suggestions anyway. I'll ask for a rough breakdown and hope that he's not someone who's already replied to this thread...

Around £25,000 excluding external groundwork
Labour only

Last edited:
No way would I price a job without looking at it unless the cust had a full and proper specification from a professional.

Itemising a quote is ok providing it's in sensible sections.
Why not just get a few quotes and base your decision on who you meet, whether they impress you and lastly the price.

People spend a great deal of time picking heating systems, sanitary ware etc , sometimes at great cost then seem to forget the labour costs involved in fitting them. There can be a huge price difference in fitting costs between a standard bathroom and a designer one.
Prices, even guide prices, can only be done by those who actually see your plans and details of what exactly is to be fitted.
Get another couple of prices to compare but remember like everything cheapest is not usually best but neither is most expensive.
Choose wisely.

I have a feeling that you might have some difficulty in finding someone to do the job if you've supplied all the heating materials. Underfloor heating is not every plumber's cup of tea.

Bathrooms are fine for most of us but when it comes to heating we prefer to source the stuff ourselves as we know what we're buying and know our suppliers. We will know what works well, what is difficult to install, etc.

If you find a plumber willing to take the job on he might not be happy to guarantee the work or what he's working with.

I'm not saying you won't find someone, but it could be tricky.

Best of luck with the project and I hope it goes well for you!!

There can be a huge price difference in fitting costs between a standard bathroom and a designer one.
Yep.
It all looks nicey and shiny in the showroom but glee turns to disappointment when they realise how much their new designer bathroom is going to cost to get installed.

Thanks for your staggeringly patronising help. I could put something here but, frankly, I can't be bothered. I simply asked for some advice and got jumped on. Friendly bunch. I'll go and do my research elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your staggeringly patronising help. I could put something here but, frankly, I can't be bothered. I simply asked for some advice and got jumped on. Friendly bunch. I'll go and do my research elsewhere.

I really don't see where you think the patronising is you asked a question and you got replays to many silly people come on here and asking silly questions how can anyone price what you want without seeing the plans at least
we don't know what spec your putting in you really need to go away and sort your attitude out

1 day to lay underfloor pipe per room
3 days to fit remaining part of underfloor system
1 day gshp
2 days water cylinder and pipework
3 days soil/waste pipes
3 days pipework to bathroom, ensuite, cloakroom, utility kitchen
2 days bathroom
2 days ensuite
1 day cloakroom
1 day kitchen and utility
2 days contingency

25 days = £5,000 labour

Simply impossible to say without knowing how many rooms there are, whether you're happy with surface plumbing or want hidden pipework, whether you want a bath or shower or bath and shower in bathroom and/or ensuite, whether you want radiators upstairs, whether you want tiling done, whether you want boxing in or walls altered, etc, etc, etc. Some bathrooms can be done in a day, some in 2-3 weeks.

"An estimate for costs would be very helpful, even if you could give guides for individual parts, that'd be great."

Pack of 15mm elbows : £6.69

Thank you. The quote was three times that amount. I don't mind paying a fair price for a job but I thought it was a bit excessive. Which, clearly, it is.

Thank you. The quote was three times that amount. I don't mind paying a fair price for a job but I thought it was a bit excessive. Which, clearly, it is.

What about the second price you have been given. You mentioned in the op that you had a couple of prices.

What was your impression of the guys that came out to give you the price?

As said before, get a couple more people in to have a look. Any friends or relatives or work colleagues had any work done that can recommend somebody

If i had not seen a drawing nor been out then i would just say £160 a day untill it was done.As for giving any material breakdown then for me only billy basics e.g you get a toilet ,basin and three rads etc ,lost to many jobs and wasted to much time in the past messing around like that !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Taking the mick? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock