Discuss Siliconr, friend or foe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Went to a property today, previous plumber had installed bathroom, and waste was leaking.

Knocked on door and was one of those that you think straight away, DIY, just because of look of customer.

Any way got upstairs and was leaking from waste washer, tap tails washer and the tap connections.

I sealed them all with sealant and had the usual, we will pay you next week, story. But managed to get money out of them eventually.
My question is, do you professionals out there, seal every joint with silicone, for instance
  • Shower connection to wall
  • bath to bath connection (tap to bath connection oops!!)
  • waste to bath
  • overflow to bath
Personnaly speaking I think in this case the bath was a cheap one and the taps were cheap.

Also while on the subject, which way up does bath waste washer go up, cant remember, is it with the ribbed end at top or ribbed end at bottom, I mean the black ones that go under bath, not white one which is above bath.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have nicknamed the plumber I work with as 'Silicone Sid'. That should give you an idea how much silicone we use lol

Provided the correct washers and seals are ok I try not to use silicon, it can damage some of the plastics etc.

Ribbed side at the top.

I also never use the washer supplied for the inside of the bath, it gets binned and this is one place I do use silicon.

I always have problems with them not sealing, problem is that silicone looks rubbish.
cheap rubbish.

never have problems with expensive stuff.

just said I was really busy (as she wanted to drop it off to me) and I would rather have the money there and then, then stated that if it did leak I always come back free of charge to fix.

tap to bath, oops

Last edited by a moderator:
I use silicone on bath an sink wastes, prefer to use a basin mate for basins if I remember to pick one up, used to use it on syphons but don't bother anymore

Silicone on basin waste (loads)

(and loads)

Bath waste - usually nothing but silicone if required.
Overflow - silicone around the upper part and nothing where it fits the waste. If this lower part leaks then a replacement.

The rest of them (metal to metal) I use the appropriate washers. Any plastic plumbing fittings (after a lost customer experience 2 weeks ago) will be replaced with copper to tap connector to tap.

Plumbers Mate not silicone. I hate the bloody stuff and it's way over used now in places it's not needed. Use a box key with 1/2" and 3/4" ends to horse up taps and they never leak or move.
I don't like plastic wastes as coupled with nasty cheap traps, they are a recipe for cross threading and leaking. I prefer metal wastes and a good quality McAlpine trap with a combined overflow and it will outlast the bath!

Plumbers Mate not silicone. I hate the bloody stuff and it's way over used now in places it's not needed. Use a box key with 1/2" and 3/4" ends to horse up taps and they never leak or move.
I don't like plastic wastes as coupled with nasty cheap traps, they are a recipe for cross threading and leaking. I prefer metal wastes and a good quality McAlpine trap with a combined overflow and it will outlast the bath!

does plumbers mate, seal instantly? or do you have to wait 24 hours, does it actually seal, I have pulled it of bath taps, i.e. and it looked disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Siliconr, friend or foe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock