Discuss Rad valve identification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RichardG63

Hi all - this is my first post so please go easy.

I'm looking at having a TRV fitted to two radiators in a room in my house. I'm familiar with TRVs which operate a rad valve with a pin which is pushed and pulled by the TRV to open and close the valve. But my radiators have a valve of the following type fitted which needs to be turned in order to be closed:

radvalve.JPG

I guess to install a TRV I would need to replace the valve body with a 'pin' style valve body. Is this correct? Or can I adapt the installed valve body to suit a pin style actuator/TRV?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
cant see your pic, but a new trv needs a complete replacement no addaption possible

hi - tried re-inserting the image, hope it's visible this time...

And perhaps I'm not using 'TRV' correctly here... in the OP i mean by TRV the actuator, which acts on the valve body's pin... hope this clarifies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not entirely sure what you're trying to say but if you want to replace the valve in the pic for a TRV then you'll have to remove that one and replace the whole thing with a TRV.

richard you need to change the whole valve as lame plumber said

Thanks for the help.

Are these old valve bodies or something?

Your valve is just a std wheelhead / lockshield. You can still get trv's with a 3/4 nut on the tail from the likes of bandq but they are garbage.

OK thanks very much. I'm planning to swap out one of each of the lockheads on each radiator with a TRV. So it looks like I'll need to adapt the connection to the rad too on these valves... Do you think that will be straightforward?

Also is there any regularity with regards to which side the lockhead is fitted vs the TRV?

OK thanks very much. I'm planning to swap out one of each of the lockheads on each radiator with a TRV. So it looks like I'll need to adapt the connection to the rad too on these valves... Do you think that will be straightforward?

Also is there any regularity with regards to which side the lockhead is fitted vs the TRV?
TRV's are usually fitted to the flow side so let the system cool right down then turn it on and run round checking and marking which side gets warm first. You can also get bi-directional valves which can be fitted on either end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad valve identification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock