Currently reading:
Newly qualified engineer training matrix.

Discuss Newly qualified engineer training matrix. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dotty

Chaps one and all

I've got to put together a training matrix for newly qualified guys on my firm.

As you know, chaps already in the trade don't necessarily need to put together a portfolio. Which means that guys are coming through their training knowing how not to be dangerous but not a lot more than that.

So they'll each be working with me for a week where I'll be taking them through the basic nuts and bolts that you don't get in your qualifying course.

So, being serious for a change, I'm looking for ideas to put in a spreadsheet as part of a training matrix

EG.

• Interpretation / familiarity with current regs.
• Knowledge / use of GIUSP.
• Understanding of manufacturers instructions.
• Ability to service appliance and interpret the results of the flue gas analysis.
• Understanding of the sequence of operation for fault finding
• Identification of fault / faulty component and sourcing of replacement.

And so on.

Thanks in advance chaps.

electrical testing and sequencing (pcb)
serviceable and non serviceable parts
how to use a multi meter
if you do install how to use a level

and tbh mate think a week is a bit short if you can up to two

first and foremost, how to stay alive ie basic risk assessment before starting to do anything, ie checking polarity etc prior to looking at a boiler etc. Before that carry out a dynamic risk assessment of the area of work, ie no loft ladder to get into attic, then given a torch and no flooring, time to walk away or fall through ceiling later on. Not enough time spent on being safe initially on site by most people still.. omho

first and foremost, how to stay alive ie basic risk assessment before starting to do anything, ie checking polarity etc prior to looking at a boiler etc. Before that carry out a dynamic risk assessment of the area of work, ie no loft ladder to get into attic, then given a torch and no flooring, time to walk away or fall through ceiling later on. Not enough time spent on being safe initially on site by most people still.. omho

Some valid points except the loft bit. Commercial, dear boy, remember?

But yeah, basic initial safety checks. Nice one.

Also leads on to checking for availability of fuel.

Our RA'S and SSOW'S are pre determined.

ok smarmy pants, working at height then, in your case anything off the floor............

A quick speech on the difference between domestic and commercial voltages and currents might help if they know they wont be walking away from a 415v shock.......:shocked:

How to make the perfect brew for the senior members of staff should be chapter 1.

Then just chuck in any old rubbish in to fill the rest up.

Chaps one and all

I've got to put together a training matrix for newly qualified guys on my firm.

As you know, chaps already in the trade don't necessarily need to put together a portfolio. Which means that guys are coming through their training knowing how not to be dangerous but not a lot more than that.

So they'll each be working with me for a week where I'll be taking them through the basic nuts and bolts that you don't get in your qualifying course.

So, being serious for a change, I'm looking for ideas to put in a spreadsheet as part of a training matrix

EG.

• Interpretation / familiarity with current regs.
• Knowledge / use of GIUSP.
• Read the manufacturers instructions.
• Understanding of manufacturers instructions.
• Ability to service appliance and interpret the results of the flue gas analysis.
• Understanding of the sequence of operation for fault finding
• Identification of fault / faulty component and sourcing of replacement.

And so on.

Thanks in advance chaps.
Please see insert above you were getting a bit ahead of yourself John.

• Completing paper work i.e. job reports, quotes, warning notices etc
• Dealing with other service providers / utilities.
• Reading manufacturers instructions, did I mention that one?.
And get them in the office for the day so that understand what the back room boys & girls do & who they need to speak to.

Please see insert above you were getting a bit ahead of yourself John.

• Completing paper work i.e. job reports, quotes, warning notices etc
• Dealing with other service providers / utilities.
• Reading manufacturers instructions, did I mention that one?.
And get them in the office for the day so that understand what the back room boys & girls do & who they need to speak to.

Exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for!

Bearing in mind that we're mainly commercial we only really deal with utilities in the event of a problem. Never when it comes to a new installation, I usually only get involved at the commissioning stage.

It's simply a case of "What do I know? What do I do?" on each job and putting it down on paper. I'm just brainstorming at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd tell them to take their job seriously.

Commercial boilers and commercial systems require a far greater depth of knowledge and skills than a domestic system.

There are less tolerances when commissioning a commercial boiler, compared to a domestic boiler, and there are greater ramifications, to be taken into account, when commissioning a commercial boiler than a domestic boiler.

I'd tell them to take their job seriously.

Commercial boilers and commercial systems require a far greater depth of knowledge and skills than a domestic system.

There are less tolerances when commissioning a commercial boiler, compared to a domestic boiler, and there are greater ramifications, to be taken into account, when commissioning a commercial boiler than a domestic boiler.

Theres a louder bang. And costs alot more money

Theres a louder bang. And costs alot more money

Does anyone remember the boilers that had explosion doors on the front of them?

Oh how things have changed, and how much more complex and complicated commercial boilers have become.

The old cast iron boilers -
On - off gas valves, supplied directly from thermostat or flow switch.
Pilot lights that were placed far enough away from the burner and injectors so the rush of gas didn't blow them out and then the ignition.

Wasn't fault finding a doddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newly qualified engineer training matrix. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back