Currently reading:
more rough warmfront work

Discuss more rough warmfront work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

been to do a LGSC on a wb greenstar 2 1/2 years,no water in the boiler and boiler very noisy,tops it up and a tee done by them had gone bang on the heating circuit flooding the place it has simply not been soldered properly and failed big style:frown2: great so i tells the tenant to ring warmfront eaga etc anyway the LGSC turns up a meter bracket butchered to take 28mm pipe through so the meters hanging by one union and the lead slate on the vertical flue has a 3 inch gap under it so i ID the fit and made safe i ring warmfront up and a very snobby old bat informs me they cant speak to me data protection etc no probs i said you can talk to gassafe when i nominate the house for a free safety check said old bat then changes her tune and is prepared to listen and log the faults anyway they ring the tenant and inform her none of the faults are covered as its out of warranty:frown2::frown2: so i have advised the landlord there options pay me to at least sort out the leak and the lead slate or ask gas safe on there views (if they are interested?) incidentally the dodgy flue work is just above a kiddies bedroom

Sounds like you have hit a similar issue I had a week back my friend! Interesting that it is country wide! But who are "warmfront", and who are they employing I wonder? Can anyone Gas Safe Registered stoop sow low as to disregard blatant requirements??? Sheeeeesh!!

The warmfront scheme was administered by eaga on behalf of the government. When eaga was bought by Carillion last April they also took over running the scheme.

I joined Iguana services ( a subsidiary of eaga) in August 2006 and they were getting 30% of the warmfront work. All jobs were inspected by warmfont inspectors but they were paid peanuts and wouldn't know a good job if it fell on them. They had a checklist which they used, if everything on the list was ticked the job passed.

We were paid on a poor basic but a very good bonus to encourage productivity. Because it was a bonus per completed job it also tended to encourage cutting corners. A common trick that installers used was to get the powerflush machine in and run the hoover so that the customer could hear machinery being used. When the inspector asked if the system had been flushed the customer would say yes because they heard the machine running.

Because there was good money to be made Iguana (and other companies on the scheme) were recruiting like mad and not bothered how good the installers were. It was all about boilers on walls.

Every now and again there would be a quality drive but this would soon go out of the window and back to boilers on walls.

The Government finally cottoned on to the fact that the way the scheme was run was bordering on the corrupt and it all changed in April 2010. Prior to that a company was allocated the job and surveyed it for the necessary work themselves. Strangely most jobs came in at the maximum grant level. In April 2010 the jobs were surveyed by "surveyors" employed directly by warmfront and the jobs put out to tender to the firms on the scheme.

This put firms like eagaheat (as Iguana had now morphed into) at a disadvantage because they were seriously top heavy. For every 6 engineers there was a field manager who had a regional manager and national manager above them. You also had planners in the office, people on the complaints desk etc. Rather thanprune the back office staff the company decided to cut the job durations and put more pressure on the frontline staff to perform. The MD at the time viewed the installers like a production line, boilers in one end and complete installs out of the other, and could not understand why some jobs couled take 3 or 4 times as long as another. If a boiler swap could be done in a day then all boiler swaps could be done in a day.

This obviously lead to even more corner cutting as installers attempted to earn bonus by meeting ludicrous targets.

Through all of this mess I, and some of my colleagues, carried on installing properly and got a reputation as being problem solvers so spent a lot of our time putting right the dodgy installs that didn't slip through the very large holes in the net.

Most of the pictures I've posted in the Hall of Shame thread are of warmfront jobs that I was called into to put right.

Nice post mike thanks :)

Alas the story no doubt is similar to many who work for those motivated by greed or are scared! *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to more rough warmfront work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock