Currently reading:
Messed about

Discuss Messed about in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
So, me & mate go to job at 9.30. Arrive & tenant in shower.

Wait around, then measure up floor.

Go to buy Lino (I pay).
Go to buy reserved shower rail - not in, already paid.

Return to house, another tenant in shower

Wait around, remove door & rip up old Lino, floor wet, rotten, inform agents LL whose there, phone calls are made, we wait, tell her what needed, she wants cheaper option, we give options & prices, she makes calls, we wait.

Agreed work, need to have day in house with no tenants, all agreed, price to sort floor out, remove & refit basin & toilet etc.

Spend 2.5hrs at this job inc. running about spending my money.

Leave house, 10 mins later text, need breakdown of work, no problems with that, 5 mins after, need breakdown of all materials, nope, price for job given.

So, now querying price after trying to barter with us at house. Not interested in reducing.

I'm down £200 materials for today plus 5 man hrs of labour.

Fed up with it.

Awaiting text back whether she wants us to do work or not. The old carrot of I've got more work was thrown in!!

So, if she doesn't want us to continue in going to bill materials bought today - left at house in garage - plus 5 hrs labour at £30ph.

What do you think?

The bathroom was refitted for £3k but suite was a B&q £199. Few white tiles & 1sqm of ply under bath where it leaked.

Contractor said he couldn't do flooring!!!

Fed up with it, he's fleeced LL & agent now screwing us around!

Rant over

There's no perfecting this game. Second best is making hay while the sun shines to cover the inevitable wastes of time and resources.

Easy solution to this dont work for landlords. There running a business so their profit margin means everything same as it does to me, so theres a conflict of interest straight away.

Easy solution to this dont work for landlords. There running a business so their profit margin means everything same as it does to me, so theres a conflict of interest straight away.

So ine business should never work for other business'?.Nonsense.
I do work for landlords (not via agents) and never have a problem, The basic rule is to have general terms agreed before you start. if it is too difficult to agree terms beforehand, you can be sure there will be difficulties once you get going. As above.

Anyway, OP, you should defo invoice your normal hours and materials. And then hope. Good luck.

Document what you did and keep a record of the phone conversations.
You will have stored in you hone the calls made and received.
Keep invoices of materials bought specifically for the job.

Did you take any photo's of the bathroom?

If you get stuffed around, take it further with the evidence you have.
Open and shut case for a judge to decide the outcome of.

Last edited:
So ine business should never work for other business'?.Nonsense.
Not nonsense at all depends where you live it seems you area in your landlords and agents are the salt of the earth and pay a good price for work so that kind are rarer than rocking horse shiiite.

but rockets experience is typical of landlords and agents where i live aswell more interested in price than quality.
Going rate for LGSC is 35 quid for 3 aplliances i wouldnt lower myself but plenty do
big difference between working for business and working for landlords.
I do plenty of work for businesses but do next to nothing for landlords, why because they are a pain to work for. Get plenty of enquiries as soon as you give em a price they run a mile or try and haggle you to death.

Fair enough mate, but the comments about both parties makong a profit appies to all bseiness'.
I find agents are too hard to work for as they have no idea what we do and want a cheap job so they can ad their margin. I do a little workfor one agent, but hre doesn't mark up, and has never haggled, although I t5end only to get a call when a fire os involved.
If I speak to a LL direct, I have a proper chat, and explain, for example, that although it is not a requirement, I won't do a CP 12 on an open flue without a proper service. And I charge my normal rates, which never involve £35. And they get my T&C's by email, to which they have to agree. And I need tenants conact number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Messed about in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock