Lol

Discuss Lol in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just had a potential customer (a friend of my sister in law's) post this rant on FB after me (and presumably a couple of other plumbers) have told her the job is going to cost more than the £5k she has budgeted for..

'Rant coming up - a rare glimpse into the internal rage....
Why is it so ****ing difficult for a proper hetas plumber to come out and fit a central heating system?! Yes it's off a wet log burner - I KNOW there's not many registered to fit that kind of system. I KNOW I've got no radiators or pipe work, and YES a fricking tank needs to be fitted in our enormous loft. YES it's more work then fixing a ****ing boiler.
No one - not one ****ing plumber wants to do the work because there's not enough money in it for them. So I've quite frankly had enough. **** the house - we'll freeze over winter. CHEERS'

She is supplying old cast iron rads reclaimed from a school and wants a 9 radiator system plumbed in with a new thermal store fitted in the loft and the existing cylinder on the 2nd floor removed and pipework obviously moved up to the loft. Oh, and a new wood burning stove plumbed in. All pipework in copper. Told her it can't be done for £5k and clearly a few other plumbers haven't too.

The best reply is from her husband: -

'My personal favourite is "ooh that's going to be difficult". Why yes it is, that's why I'm telephoning for your services. Otherwise I'd do it my ****ing self. It is not however rocket science nor does it have to cost 5 figures.'

I do love the 'it's not rocket science' line from potential customers. I told them flat out it couldn't be done for £5k at the quote appointment. Methinks the issue is their budget rather than it not being possible, but I can't say that to a friend of my sister in law's can I? Especially not when my sis in law recommended us!

Twonks . Tell them your H003 H004 and H006 cost u a lot and if they can get trained and run a business cheaper they should be optimisation consultants not wingers!

A still tongue keeps a wise head....say nowt and move on its their problem let them find someone else ...if they can lol regards Turnpin:punk:

Tw@ts! I'll bet there car cost more then 5k. They can sit in that all winter to keep warm.

It's funny how people will spend £5k on a holiday but wouldn't think of spending that on a nice new heating system that will keep them warm!

Where do these people get the idea that as trained proffesionals running our own businesses we dont deserve reasonable recompense for our work?
Do these "people" not strive for better pay themselves, or do they make a concious decision to earn less for the benefit of others! My rr,s they do.

Once somebody tells you directly that your price is far too excessive, then you most likely have lost the chance of the work. Probably better that you walk away from it if they are moaning before you actually get any work. But you might as well hit back at them.
I have never actually done this so far, but will do if somebody tells me I am expensive, - I am going to sit down with them, take a note book & a pen & ask them what their weekly earnings actually are. Before they answer (because rarely would they say what they earn) I would write a pound sign down for them to mentally fill in the rest, then I would put a very low salary down below that for a plumbers yearly wage, keeping it so low they have to agree (say £20k) & ask them - do they think that is a fair amount? Then add costs to me that they no doubt get as perks in their job - health schemes, pensions, holiday pay, etc, etc. Finally I would list every other cost to me - van cost (it's a work vehicle & has to be paid by work), fuel, tax, depreciation, servicing, parts & then list tools cost, mobile phone cost, stationary costs, printer & computer costs & finish with qualifications & registration costs plus any unforeseen losses like non payments or priced jobs taking longer hours than quoted.
Hopefully they will have tears in their eyes after all that! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lol in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock