Search the forum,

Discuss How to orient elbow adapter correctly? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I'm new to plumbing so there may be an obvious answer to this!

As you can see in the photo below, on the cold inlet of this mixer unit I have used an elbow fitting to ensure the hose is straight without any bends necessary. However when I try to use the same elbow fitment on the hot inlet, when fully screwed in and tight the fitment faces up rather than down where I need it to.

IMG_1132.jpeg

Any help and advice would be great.

Thanks all

Sorry to say you can’t install that mixer on water regs (uk water laws) as it’s in vicinity of a cat 5 appliance eg toilet the mixer also must comply with cat 5 regs

Thankyou - I did try that originally, but seemingly no matter how many wraps of PTFE, it it doesn''t make a difference to the final orientation
You don't necessarily need to tighten it till it stops though, do you?

Getting back to Shaun's point, if you can put the end of the hose in the WC pan then it is essentially an illegal installation under UK law... unless you supply the water via a break tank to protect the mains (your neighbours - not just you) from possible contamination.

You can have an actual bidet next to a WC, but what you have there is a kind of hose thing you use while sitting on the loo.

I see - the bidet does have backflow prevention valve to help with that- but as I understand, still technically not up to regulations. What is the real world risk of this? I'm not arguing, genuinely curious.

Regarding the not tightening it until it stops, I tried to stop turning it when it reaached the correct orientation, but it was still fizzing/dripping considerably - would the best bet to be put even more PTFE on?

I see - the bidet does have backflow prevention valve to help with that- but as I understand, still technically not up to regulations. What is the real world risk of this? I'm not arguing, genuinely curious.

Regarding the not tightening it until it stops, I tried to stop turning it when it reaached the correct orientation, but it was still fizzing/dripping considerably - would the best bet to be put even more PTFE on?
more PTFE

At the moment with the sorry state of PTFE being sold I'm using at least 20 wraps, then run your finger through the threads gently to stop it bunching up and being pushed out when winding it on.

Don't forget that even a hair of a turn anti-clockwise is enough to cause it to leak (quite frankly if you did this by accident you didn't have enough ptfe on in the first place)

Last edited:
more PTFE

At the moment with the sorry state of PTFE being sold I'm using at least 20 wraps, then run your finger through the threads gently to stop it bunching up and being pushed out when winding it on.

Don't forget that even a hair of a turn anti-clockwise is enough to cause it to leak (quite frankly if you did this by accident you didn't have enough ptfe on in the first place)
Gotcha- I'll give it a go - thankyou.

Regarding the water regs - it's not up to code without an ai gap/cistern for each feed as I now understand. I think a none return valve on each feed is the most I can do, I simply don't have the space for anything more than that. Provided it isn't left submerged in the toilet pan for a prolonged amount of time AND the none return valves don't fail, I think the risk is practically none existent?

Gotcha- I'll give it a go - thankyou.

Regarding the water regs - it's not up to code without an ai gap/cistern for each feed as I now understand. I think a none return valve on each feed is the most I can do, I simply don't have the space for anything more than that. Provided it isn't left submerged in the toilet pan for a prolonged amount of time AND the none return valves don't fail, I think the risk is practically none existent?

I’m gonna sound pompous but as industry professionals, we have a duty to protect our wholesome water supply and in turn public health.

Check valves, like any other fitting, can fail. I’m sure every seasoned professional plumber has come across a failed check valve.

The regs are there to mitigate the risk. I can’t put a % to what that risk is, but it’s there.

I’m also not in the habit of ‘that’ll do’ kind of work, so won’t advise you that.

What someone else does, I’ve little control over and won’t lose sleep. I just ensure that what I do, is done correctly, not only to protect health etc but to also protect my reputation.

I guess my post isn’t much help but though I’d pen my thoughts.

I suppose the risk is largely if the hose is submerged (or in use) at the time a drop in mains pressure occurs. You may use it very carefully, but can you guarantee for others and potential future purchasers? You'll find people can be surprisingly stupid about these things.

If you can't fit a separate bidet, you can buy a care home type bidet toilet if space is an issue. They incorporate a break tank and so they comply. Or you put a tank in the loft and pump off it, plus another hot water cylinder if you want hot water too.

I suppose the problem is if enough people take the attitude that they'll just break the rules when it suits them, eventually we'll end up with an Australian-style system where nobody except a licenced plumber (which will be expensive) can touch anything, or an Italian-style system where everyone seems to ignore the rules (if they exist).

I think bidets are a great idea, but don't have one in my house for the same reasons you are finding installing a compliant system so hard. Rules aside, make your own mind up - I've said my piece.

Reply to How to orient elbow adapter correctly? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock