Currently reading:
Hep2o - mice rodent rat damage

Discuss Hep2o - mice rodent rat damage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnnie Godman

Hi,
We developed our m house 4 years ago and used literally 100s of meters of Hep piping.
We had our first leak (between ceiling and first floor causing plasterboard of ceiling and wall to come down, etc) 2 weeks ago.
Cause of leak, a mice chewing through the central heating pipe during the summer months.
Beware of using plastic piping.
Johnnie

Jg and hep2o are manufacturing push fit couplings and elbows with mice traps on them when u install them put some cheess on it and youll have no problem!

I wish I hadn't read this thread.
I put in a bath with the taps in the middle of the long side. As it was against a wall and the taps were in the middle I had to use speedfit to be able to couple up the taps then push the bath the last few inches into place.

Should I expect trouble?
(Surely if plastic was so crap the word would be out by now and the mfrs would be bankrupt from claims?)

Rats can chew through concrete footings so a bit of copper or plastic pipe is not an issue to them!!!!

I wish I hadn't read this thread.
I put in a bath with the taps in the middle of the long side. As it was against a wall and the taps were in the middle I had to use speedfit to be able to couple up the taps then push the bath the last few inches into place.

Should I expect trouble?
(Surely if plastic was so crap the word would be out by now and the mfrs would be bankrupt from claims?)

You probably could have used copper (if you were familiar with copper) no problem at all. Usually just needs a bit of accurate copper pipe work & connect to pipes when bath in place.
I wouldn't worry too much about rats & mice, - just try to keep them out of the house & keep traps set.

I'd be more worried about having to pull the bath out if the taps ever need replacing, I always talk my customers out of this and have wall mounted taps.

Last edited:
I'd be more worried about having to pull the bath out if the taps ever need replacing, I always talk my customers of this and have wall mounted taps.

No trouble if you use flexies.

No trouble if you use flexies.

I think Phil is referring to removing the tap itself. It's a pain having to remove the bath to undo the backnuts.

Back on topic i've seen a run of 2.5mm t+e where a rodent has eaten insulation the length of the cable on the neutral side only. Clever.

Dont worry push fits are ok if there fitted properly with no stress on the joints.

Just put poison down and take the lids off your storage cisterns. Poison makes them thirsty and they will jump into your cistern to die and rot safely in your domestic water supply and by contaminating your washing water with putrid matter they will save damaging your precious plastic pipework.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357074846.995251.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357074864.103952.jpg

Full house done in hep, nice rural location, and big bags of rodent bait.

Prefer a good neck breaking trap, with the poison they tend to die in the walls, accidently moved a half mummified rat in a loft once, the smell was indescribable.

The one on the left was in an upstairs bedroom, where the son was, chip trays, 1/2 pies etc surprised the rodents were hungry for plastic, I got called when the water was pouring through the downstairs after the client had pressurised the system, and was bleeding the rads, the other was under downstairs rooms. Fitted carpets, plywood over floors etc, but that's what we are paid for.

had the same as in the pics in my dads new place, they had mice, dishwasher was showing a code that said water overflow, took side off and thye had cut through the waste pipe. Dsconnected it and told them to get landlord to replace. apparently they dislocate there bodies so dont need much room to get in.

If you can push a pencil through a hole then a mouse can get in.

Jesus!

SHould stress that this is a rare occurance otherwise you will have everyone reading this paradiod about mice damage . . .

Lets not blow things completely out of proportion shall we!

Rodents teeth keep growing I think - so that means they need to keep gnawing at stuff, hence that rats & mice will often chew at hard plastic, like plastic fittings.

Left front door open for 20min to clear Cooking smells ( smoke ! )

1 Hr later Heard chibbling noises under TV stand , Caught in little-nipper trap in another 15min later

(could not resist Snickers mini choc ! ) It's cold out , mice -- they want in !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hep2o - mice rodent rat damage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock