Currently reading:
Heating Off Rads getting warm

Discuss Heating Off Rads getting warm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DEMPSEY1965

Hi All,
After turning the heating off after the winter I have noticed that the rads are still getting warm. Hot water is set to constant on the timer and the heating is set to off. I will be calling in the experts and I just want to know roughly what is going on here. The system is gravity fed, Greenstar ri boiler, Drayton Lifestyle timer, digistat in the hallway 3 port valve in airing cupboard. Valve appears to be moving freely when heating/water is selected. Also the pump appears to be running all the time even after the boiler has shut off and the only way I can stop it is to turn off the power completely. I have turned off all the rads which was ok but I am a little worried that I will be doing damage just to get the water hot. Now I have turned the heating off completely and using the immersion for the hot water. Any ideas please and thank you for your time.

Water on for about 5 minutes I felt the heating pipe and at the valve is warmish and the other 2 are very hot, where the pipe goes into the floor it is cold. Thought it may be just heat from the valve/other pipes. The rads are off now so not sure if they are getting hot, think I might just bite the bullet and get a proper heating man.
Turn on all your rads again, an just put your hot water on. On your three port valve your going to have the primary flow from the boiler which will be hot, the second pipe (which you say is hot should be to the cylinder coil) the third pipe may have some heat to it but that could be considered conduction along the pipe work. If the pipe you say goes to the floor is cold an I'm assuming that's the central heating from the 3port then I'd say that's just some heat conduction from the valve. Looking at all the responses an help we have tried giving you here it's probably just easyier to get someone who knows what there doing, it will only save you time an money hopefully.

Yes, the plumber said it was probably heat transfer and the pipes are exactly how you said. It's not like like it's leaking etc and I have turned all the rads off so not a problem with the heat in summer, just kind of annoying. Thank you all again for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Off Rads getting warm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock