Currently reading:
gloworm ultimate 50 ff

Discuss gloworm ultimate 50 ff in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 44451

hi guys , got called out to this ultimate ff today the problem is the fan comes on for a second the aps switches and then the fan stops and the

cycle is repeated, i have got 75ohms across the fan terminals and i have checked the leads back to the board for continuity and their ok.

ah! replace the pcb im thinking only fly in the ointment is when i take the leads of the fan im getting a steady 240ac up to the fan on the leads

any advice would be appreciated, tried ringing gworm tech help but got bored after waiting 45 mins with no one available what waste of time

it does sound that way although the fan is only two years old. i dont know if the fan brings on a problem in the board when

its pulling juice off it, and i cant test the fan with the leads connected bcos it shuts off b4 the meter picks up any voltage.

I had a similar problem on a baxi solo recently, one of the connections on the fan was dodgy.

so your thinking faulty lead up to the fan or a faulty wire on the fan itself?

On the solo it was dodgy where it connected to the fan motor

looks like im goin to be chucking a new fan at the boiler tomoz, i would have thought testing for ohms would have shown up this fault. sometimes there doesnt seem to be easy answers

hi guys , got called out to this ultimate ff today the problem is the fan comes on for a second the aps switches and then the fan stops and the

cycle is repeated, i have got 75ohms across the fan terminals and i have checked the leads back to the board for continuity and their ok.

ah! replace the pcb im thinking only fly in the ointment is when i take the leads of the fan im getting a steady 240ac up to the fan on the leads

any advice would be appreciated, tried ringing gworm tech help but got bored after waiting 45 mins with no one available what waste of time
New PCB time pal, it's relays switches the neutral not the live to save arcing the contacts, to test the fan hard wire to a 3 pin plug with a 3 amp fuse in, it it runs fine deffo the PCB!

well i have just dug out a new fan in my garage 240v so i am gonna wire it up tomoz to check things out then i should know were i am going. i will post some feedback as soon as cos i think its important that way we all benefit. thanks to all who have
taken the trouble to offer help tonight

I've had exactly the same problem with a 40ff the other day. An engineer ordered an APS for it, I fitted it and it didn't make any difference. I disconnected the tube to the APS and the fan continually ran. So I knew that it wasn't the APS and the fan as they were both doing their job. As soon as the APS puts power back to the board after being satisfied, the fan 'hunts'. If you follow the fault finding flow chart on in the instructions, it says PCB fault. I had 240v at the fan and the APS common until the APS made. Then it dropped out.

I took the board out and had a quick look, there's some brown marks round the area of the APS connector plug on the top and bottom.

The board is on order, but I'm not going back to fit it unfortunately, the job is booked in for tomorrow and I'm going to be working somewhere different, so I won't be able to confirm if it's 100% the fault. But it's certainly looking that way.

I've had exactly the same problem with a 40ff the other day. An engineer ordered an APS for it, I fitted it and it didn't make any difference. I disconnected the tube to the APS and the fan continually ran. So I knew that it wasn't the APS and the fan as they were both doing their job. As soon as the APS puts power back to the board after being satisfied, the fan 'hunts'. If you follow the fault finding flow chart on in the instructions, it says PCB fault. I had 240v at the fan and the APS common until the APS made. Then it dropped out.

I took the board out and had a quick look, there's some brown marks round the area of the APS connector plug on the top and bottom.

The board is on order, but I'm not going back to fit it unfortunately, the job is booked in for tomorrow and I'm going to be working somewhere different, so I won't be able to confirm if it's 100% the fault. But it's certainly looking that way.

Dont worry pal tis the pcb

pcb required, the fan is hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
i went back to this boiler today with a spare fan to temporary wire up . worked a treat so i rubbed my hands together and

charged off for a new fan. dropped the new fan on and same problem as before.I removed the white air press hose off the

fan and it stayed on . anyway told the cus it has to be the pcb and he wants me to be sure so we call gloworm tech to be sure. aaahh! 55minutes waiting on the line and they confirm that it has to be the board im picking one up tomoz

Does sound like an intermittent relay fault on the board as Vern has pointed out. If you'd tested L>E and N>E at the fan when the fault was occurring you'd have found 240v on both if the relay switches the neutral :)

yeah i was unable to test the fan whilst the fault was on because the fan was shutting off to quickly to measure , hunting as some guys have mentioned never heard that phrase used before.also i think i always try everything before fitting a pcb cos the local parts center wont take em back once they have been fitted .

yeah i was unable to test the fan whilst the fault was on because the fan was shutting off to quickly to measure , hunting as some guys have mentioned never heard that phrase used before.also i think i always try everything before fitting a pcb cos the local parts center wont take em back once they have been fitted .

PCb's are usually my last port of call too to be honest 'supaplumb'! I'f I get a one from Wolseley I'll ask them to put their tape over the box joint so if I don't use it they know it hasn't been tampered with :)

i went back to this boiler today with a spare fan to temporary wire up . worked a treat so i rubbed my hands together and

charged off for a new fan. dropped the new fan on and same problem as before.I removed the white air press hose off the

fan and it stayed on . anyway told the cus it has to be the pcb and he wants me to be sure so we call gloworm tech to be sure. aaahh! 55minutes waiting on the line and they confirm that it has to be the board im picking one up tomoz

all that matters is you got there and learnt loads in process!

new pcb boiler working again job done . thanks guys for your help in particular vern who clocked it straight away. i havent been on this forum that long and i will hopefully be more trusting in future

new pcb boiler working again job done . thanks guys for your help in particular vern who clocked it straight away. i havent been on this forum that long and i will hopefully be more trusting in future

Goodman you will learn who to ignore and listen to after a few months ( there is this bloke on here i kid you not, he is nuts, he recomendeds Intergas and goes round his own house core drilling holes in the middle of the night to test his new DDM3! ) glad it is sorted and custards warm again, snowing here again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gloworm ultimate 50 ff in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back