Discuss Gloves when soldering? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty Birch

Gas Engineer
Maybe a stupid question lads and ladies but when soldering is it a health and safety requirement to wear gloves when soldering as I believe it to be a ball ache and possibly more dangerous, love to know some facts. Site manager has had a hissy fit over the subject.
Thanks

Hi there mate, I've been soldering for twenty years and I've never even heard of soldering gloves , ( welders gloves Yeh ) ,, but it wouldn't surprise me , Could it possibly be a code of practise the the site has ?

Woo just found this as I was curious ,,,

http://www2.lbl.gov/ehs/ih/pdf/safeSolderingFinal.pdf

Remember to take them off to pee , lol

Cant see it being a requirement but despite the stick I use skin tight gloves when soldering the main advantage being I can handle the pipework after soldering it without having to wait ages for it to cool down.

Gloves and goggles.
From a Health and safety point of view there's no excuse.
From a practical point, that's different.

Alternately use Pressfit as most commercial sites do now.

is it a health and safety requirement

No. Absolutely not.

Primary legislation (ie, acts of parliament) relating to health and safety never get into this level of detail. Even secondary legislation and force-of-law regulatory instruments only do so rarely.

There may be a code of practice or company specific method statement that mandates it, but this would not have the force of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gloves when soldering? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back