Currently reading:
Firm vs Private

Discuss Firm vs Private in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I did a private boiler and hob job at the weekend and got paid in 2 days what I would get in 2 weeks from my firm.

As much as I owe my boss for giving me a chance I've come to realise that I'm working my bum off for £80 a day (take home) and it's getting a little annoying when I've done my 7 jobs on my diary and they're calling me at 4:30 to 'refresh your diary cos we've added another job that HAS TO BE DONE'.

Sometimes I feel like I'm being taken for a mug!

Rant over. Just needed to get that off my chest.

I wouldnt put up with it mate you only have that much health and every day you're underselling yourself. The more plumbers put up with **** pay the less reason employers have to pay decent wages.

I've started to build up my own clients. Hopefully in a few years I'll have enough work to jack the firm in

OP You forget that the company needs to pay for your pension, van, sick days, insurances, fuel, tools, office staff....etc and the boss needs to make something from your work. I do think that £80 a day is not great, but if you are thinking that you are better off on your own I would suggest that there will be times, sometimes many times, that you would look back and wish you were on 80 a day. I know guys who sub-contract and are on 160 per day and need to pay for all overheads off that including insurance, van, tools n the rest, so probably not too far away from your 80 a day with no hassle.

I would however ask for a raise to take home at least a ton a day.

Last edited:
OP You forget that the company needs to pay for your pension, van, sick days, insurances, fuel, tools, office staff....etc and the boss needs to make something from your work. I do think that £80 a day is not great, but if you are thinking that you are better off on your own I would suggest that there will be times, sometimes many times, that you would look back and wish you were on 80 a day. I know guys who sub-contract and are on 160 per day and need to pay for all overheads off that including insurance, van, tools n the rest, so probably not too far away from your 80 a day with no hassle.

I would however ask for a raise to take home at least a ton a day.
From what I can see he is paying his own van from that £80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Firm vs Private in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock