Discuss estimate too expensive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ewan

comments please. Went to look at fitting thermostatic shower above bath, currently no shower. Customer has unvented system and had already bought unbranded £30 shower so wanted a fit only quote. Being inexperienced I reckon job would take me 3 hours (possibly more but dont think i can base my price on more than 3 hours) I gave an estimate of £85.
Bearing in mind id need a couple of ts, isolator valves, 90 bends and 3-4mtr of pipe I thought I was probably underselling myself. only to be informed more expensive than they expected as theyd been told it was a straight forward job
I wished them well in getting a better qoute

If it was 2-3hrs work and a few bits then £85 is a perfectly fair price. A £30 unbranded shower would probably be a headache to fit anyway,I'm sure they'll find a cowboy willing to fit it for £40. Good luck to them when it all goes **** up!!!!

£30 shower on unvented interesting sight when it blows up.......walk away mate custards a nightmare

You always get folks who want something for nowt or just don't understand the costs involved in having work carried out. If they bought a crappy unbranded mixer that says it all, feel lucky you did not get the job cos they would probably have haggled over the agreed price once you had done the job anyway. Move on to the next one mate and don't let it bother you :)

they'll get a cowboy to fit it, it will go **** up and then ask you to sort it in the end.

Nothing worse than your quote or bill coming in higher than the materials. They just Don't get it! If it was a 150 pound shower I'm sure you would have seemed reasonable.

Dont waste time on customers like that. After a while you will learn to spot them quickly. Nothing but trouble - don't even bother quoting for the work. Let them get a cowboy or a handyman to do it as that is the kind of person they are really looking for.

Don't even go and try to sort it out for them if it goes **** up - they will still expect owt for nowt.

You can't polish a turd.

Last edited:
As whpes said you will learn to spot them and you were too cheap anyway. Welcome to the 21st century plumbing game.

you can, they did it on mythbusters!

haha seen that episode, did you see the one where they built a bridge from ductape ?

also I would have estimated it being more to be honest probably £30 for materials alone, who told them its a straightforward job that's what I'd like to know if there wasnt a shower there in the first place then its not straight forward, I got asked to fit a shower once for a friend and when I explained the work inolved they quickly changed their mind she thought I just stuck the shower on the wall and magically water came out of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to estimate too expensive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock