Currently reading:
Electric bathroom rad - Customer had a query regarding connecting it to CH

Discuss Electric bathroom rad - Customer had a query regarding connecting it to CH in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys

Fitted a set of kitchen taps tonight for this customer and he has a new electric radiator to replace his bathroom radiator. It has the element inside and he told me that it will need to be filled with oil to function.

I have had no dealings with these before. He asked if it was possible to connect it to the central heating in place of the radiator that is already there. I said I wasn't sure and would find out. (he's friends with my boss so will probably know before I do) He wants to use it as part of the heating circuit but then just use it on the electric side in the summer.

Buy Premier Minimalist Straight Radiator Valves Pair Online

I was thinking something might work. On each point of the 'legs' there is the bleed valve cap, the element and 2 blank caps. Would it work to screw rad valves in them? Would the radiator work with water inside it if it's designed for use with oil?

Any replies appreciated.

If it is a real electric oil filled radiator he can't use it with his heating.

You could use a normal radiator or towel rail with one of these to use the heating and electric in summer.
HEATING ELEMENT DUAL FUEL CONVERSION ELECTRIC HEATED TOWEL RAIL RADIATOR WATT W | eBay

Thanks, The customer said it is for use with oil.

So if he wants one connected to CH and also electric he will need to buy a different radiator like that one on ebay? It looks very similar to what he had, what stops his being used on his CH?

Don't the oil ones normally come filled with oil?

Is this one second hand ash, or is it new? I wonder if he is simply assuming it needs to be filled with oil because he has had an oil one in the past.

The thing in the link is just an electic heating element, like a small immersion heater.
It comes with a tapped tee that the element screws into to insert into any suitable rad (not many around these days that will take one) or towel rail. The rad valve connects to the other side of the tee and is connected to the heating system as normal.
It allows the rail (or rad) to be heated by electric in the summer.

If it is just an element he has then it can probably be used with water.

If you are using the element on its own to heat a towel rail you can fill the rail with oil (very little expansion) or fill the rail about 3/4 full of water to allow an air cushion for expansion.

Beware though, the "t" piece can snap very easily when your making in to the rad. I've broke two and I was very ginger with the second one.

Don't the oil ones normally come filled with oil?

Is this one second hand ash, or is it new? I wonder if he is simply assuming it needs to be filled with oil because he has had an oil one in the past.

It is a new one (well a mate of his had them but didn't want them so gave it to him but there was no oil in it)

The thing in the link is just an electic heating element, like a small immersion heater.
It comes with a tapped tee that the element screws into to insert into any suitable rad (not many around these days that will take one) or towel rail. The rad valve connects to the other side of the tee and is connected to the heating system as normal.
It allows the rail (or rad) to be heated by electric in the summer.

If it is just an element he has then it can probably be used with water.

If you are using the element on its own to heat a towel rail you can fill the rail with oil (very little expansion) or fill the rail about 3/4 full of water to allow an air cushion for expansion.

This had an element screwed in to it like the one in the link also. it's not my decision to make so said I would find out for him. I can ask my boss in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric bathroom rad - Customer had a query regarding connecting it to CH in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock