Currently reading:
Do you think I'm qualified??

Discuss Do you think I'm qualified?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...first post so be gentle...

With some many discussions about fast track courses...I'm just after some of your opinions whether you think I'm a qualified Gas Engineer?

I have completed a BPEC Gas Foundation course which consisted of 26 days (1 day a week) of theory and practical covering: General gas safety training... installation of pipework, installation and maintenance of boilers, cookers, fires, warm air units and water heaters.

The requirement of passing the course (other than final exams) as a Cat 3 entrance (no formal plumbing qualification) is to show 140 days of photographic evidence of practical on-site jobs covering all appliances and services. i.e :

boiler service = 1/2 day
gas fire install = 1 day
boiler repair = 1 day
central heating install = 5 days ..... and so on..

In total it has taken me around 12 months working 5 days a week on-site to complete this portfolio and for everything to be signed off and finished.

It took another 3 months working while waiting until I felt comfortable to book my ACS exams.

I am now crrently sitting my ACS: CCN1, CENWAT, CPA1, HTR1 & CKR1

I have now passed my CCN1 theory today...and the CCN1 practical and modules commences next week (which I'm quite confidence I'll pass)

Here's the question....after 15 months work experience, BPEC Gas Foundation and ACS qualification. Do you think I'd be classed as a reputable Gas Engineer....or simply a "fast tracker" ??...or even maybe something in between?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Dave

Last edited:
If you have been doing heating /plumbing for less than five years then i gauge you as apprentice then improver ,in all honesty have not got time of day for anyone who never left school to be a plumber ,,,,but thats just my opinion of fast track .

"in all honesty have not got time of day for anyone who never left school to be a plumber "

Got a chip on your shoulder? ;-)

Re: Help...Do you think I'm qualified??

there are courses shorter so not so much a fast tracker.
but someone training the traditional way will have a lot more experience as they will have trained for longer so thats obviously what you need to build up.
as long as you work hard, do a nice job, have no or little come backs on your jobs you will gain respect.

after 15 months (and sorry to be blunt,you aint gonna like this) it should be illegal for you to become a gas engineer imho you should be made to train for several years before being allowed to work with something that trough inexperience could lead to a tragedy

there are courses shorter so not so much a fast tracker.
but someone training the traditional way will have a lot more experience as they will have trained for longer so thats obviously what you need to build up.
as long as you work hard, do a nice job, have no or little come backs on your jobs you will gain respect.

Thanks for your feedback..I totally agree with what you've said..this is still the early days of my learning process.

No not at all but get fed up with muppets coming out of the forces/hospitals or whatever trying to learn a trade when if they wanted to be a tradesman should have done it when they were younger . Lost count the amount of forces idiots i have trained then sacked because thay were inept at installing at a tidy competent level . Following week i see same doughnuts driving around with there name on a van claiming to be an gas fitter or so , feel sorry for the public to be honest.

after 15 months (and sorry to be blunt,you aint gonna like this) it should be illegal for you to become a gas engineer imho you should be made to train for several years before being allowed to work with something that trough inexperience could lead to a tragedy

I don't mind..really..

I partially agree with your statement..I can fully appreciate 15 month may not seem long..fortunately the company I work for only deal with gas, so it is 15 months of pure gas work....I'd admit, I'm still on a learning curve as I'm sure we all are. But there is only one why I'm going to get this "experience"...and that's by working with gas.

thats true working with gas is the only way,but under supervision ,anyway good luck with what your doing

No not at all but get fed up with muppets coming out of the forces/hospitals or whatever trying to learn a trade when if they wanted to be a tradesman should have done it when they were younger . Lost count the amount of forces idiots i have trained then sacked because thay were inept at installing at a tidy competent level . Following week i see same doughnuts driving around with there name on a van claiming to be an gas fitter or so , feel sorry for the public to be honest.

Watch your words
(Ex forces idiots I have trained)
Any ex forces I know are great at picking things up very quickly maybe it's the way you train!!!!!

try and learn as much as you can, training for a long time i think is a good thing though, gives you the experience so that when you do go out on your own you can do whats required.
if you do apply for a job as "qualified" you will be expected to step up and be counted or you will end up another failed plumber.

I feel sorry for your experience with these "idiots" and "doughnuts" but we all have some regrets...who's to say you can't pursue your goals/dream/regrets at a later date in life. There's no way anyone can stick up for these cowboys and you're right in venting your anger but my concern is being bracketed with these "fast trackers" where not all that bad...or that irresponsible either.

Hi all...first post so be gentle...

With some many discussions about fast track courses...I'm just after some of your opinions whether you think I'm a qualified Gas Engineer?

I have completed a BPEC Gas Foundation course which consisted of 26 days (1 day a week) of theory and practical covering: General gas safety training... installation of pipework, installation and maintenance of boilers, cookers, fires, warm air units and water heaters.

The requirement of passing the course (other than final exams) as a Cat 3 entrance (no formal plumbing qualification) is to show 140 days of photographic evidence of practical on-site jobs covering all appliances and services. i.e :

boiler service = 1/2 day
gas fire install = 1 day
boiler repair = 1 day
central heating install = 5 days ..... and so on..

In total it has taken me around 12 months working 5 days a week on-site to complete this portfolio and for everything to be signed off and finished.

It took another 3 months working while waiting until I felt comfortable to book my ACS exams.

I am now crrently sitting my ACS: CCN1, CENWAT, CPA1, HTR1 & CKR1

I have now passed my CCN1 theory today...and the CCN1 practical and modules commences next week (which I'm quite confidence I'll pass)

Here's the question....after 15 months work experience, BPEC Gas Foundation and ACS qualification. Do you think I'd be classed as a reputable Gas Engineer....or simply a "fast tracker" ??

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Dave

Dave, you've done it right, working with gas engineers whilst learning and completing a course. Working on the job is the correct way to learn and achieve however maybe most people in the industry would expect you to have qualifications and extensive experience in plumbing and heating systems prior to this stage. You didn't mention this in your story so perhaps people have put 2 and 2 together?

try and learn as much as you can, training for a long time i think is a good thing though, gives you the experience so that when you do go out on your own you can do whats required.
if you do apply for a job as "qualified" you will be expected to step up and be counted or you will end up another failed plumber.

Agreed..I have no intention going solo any time soon...just out of interest..how many years experience would class as "qualified"

Dave, you've done it right, working with gas engineers whilst learning and completing a course. Working on the job is the correct way to learn and achieve however maybe most people in the industry would expect you to have qualifications and extensive experience in plumbing and heating systems prior to this stage. You didn't mention this in your story so perhaps people have put 2 and 2 together?

The company I work for only deal with gas/heating..no cold water plumbing at all.

Watch your words
(Ex forces idiots I have trained)
Any ex forces I know are great at picking things up very quickly maybe it's the way you train!!!!!

Highly unlikely have trained many an apprentice who have gone on to other firms or worked for themselves and had a good career from it , however anyone from a forces back ground has proven to be a liability either when ive contracted them on works or when ive been contracting on site , my last foreman on a commercial works was ex army and the firm went bankrupt within a year of him being made up he since went on to start his own business up which again folded due to his incompetance . I dont pass any works on to anyone these days unless i know they are competant been stung to many times by fast trackers .

i think you need years behind you but also experience doing different tasks.
you can work with someone doing different things day by day so after a few years you will have good knowledge and experience.
where as you can work with someone doing the same stuff day by day so after a few years you are not much further on.

Highly unlikely have trained many an apprentice who have gone on to other firms or worked for themselves and had a good career from it , however anyone from a forces back ground has proven to be a liability either when ive contracted them on works or when ive been contracting on site , my last foreman on a commercial works was ex army and the firm went bankrupt within a year of him being made up he since went on to start his own business up which again folded due to his incompetance . I dont pass any works on to anyone these days unless i know they are competant been stung to many times by fast trackers .

You just sound anti forces then

No anti fast track just the majority i come across are ex forces as area i live in ,another anti fast track i came across was a so called engineer who bodged over 100 comissions on boilers in a new build site , this cost the firm i was subbying to final payment which resulted in job loses . fast tracking is all about making training centres quick money and cons the public into thinking they are getting real tradesman .

I have worked with engineers with 15 years experience an they have been DANGEROUS!!!!! Its not just experience that makes you good, its how competent you are, how much pride you take in your work an research into what your doing. This "i have worked twenty years therefore i'm better than you" is just a total falsehood an unfair on the newly qualified guys. Again some new guys will be rubbish but some will be good.

Final point of the day..... I was out with a experienced guy (15 years/BG/Self Empolyed etc etc) to do my portfolio, he decided to angle grind into steel gas pipe. Is the good????? Hummmmmmmmm

i once had a ex forces training with me total clown of a guy but thats not because he was ex forces i think the army booted him out as well,i would have thought ex forces are very disciplined and want to learn

I have worked with engineers with 15 years experience an they have been DANGEROUS!!!!! Its not just experience that makes you good, its how competent you are, how much pride you take in your work an research into what your doing. This "i have worked twenty years therefore i'm better than you" is just a total falsehood an unfair on the newly qualified guys. Again some new guys will be rubbish but some will be good.

Final point of the day..... I was out with a experienced guy (15 years/BG/Self Empolyed etc etc) to do my portfolio, he decided to angle grind into steel gas pipe. Is the good????? Hummmmmmmmm

Again...another post I totally agree with.

I shouldn't say...but I've also had some dodgy experiences with my senior "more experienced" time served with BG since he was 15...and now he's in his mid 60's.....

"This meter union is a bit tight...I know...get the blow lamp on it!!"

Disconnect gas fire...."damn...no caps in the van...never mind..crimp and solder..that will do.."

Is he not basically got the same now as what you would get doing an apprenticship at british gas? obviously hes done it in 15 months instead of 3 years I am sure bg course is only 3 years he is now a service engineer with no knowledge at all on plumbing systems.
This is were there guys are so he actually has done not too bad in 15 months on qual front and I would say 15 months is enough time to pick up the basics in gas after all most of the big plumbing firms only put there apprentices on the gas side of things to learn in there 4th year.
You have done well but will be limited to what you will understand on the different systems as you never went through the plumbing/heating route.
I would in my opinion still class this as fast track as I think all gas engineers should no the plumbing/heating systems inside out which you wont if you havent done plumbing.

good luck

at least 3 years of practical work, I've been in it 5 year but I take pride in my work and always do my best, some older guys i worked with didne care how it looked or about it just wanted the wage, i would say at least 3 years though theres alot to take in and perfect

at least 3 years of practical work, I've been in it 5 year but I take pride in my work and always do my best, some older guys i worked with didne care how it looked or about it just wanted the wage, i would say at least 3 years though theres alot to take in and perfect

my trades man was lazy but I learned quick this way but even then I would not have been ready after 15 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do you think I'm qualified?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock