Currently reading:
Damn imperial pipe

Discuss Damn imperial pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommy1712

Went to do a job in the evening just changing a stopcock (what I thought was 22mm pipe) isolated at the meter, made my new section of pipe up with the new stopcock in. Drained down just about to whip the pipe slice out then thought hummm I'll un do the compression fitting. So took that section out "nicely" cleaned up the existing fittings went to slip my new section in anddddddddd the 22 pipe wouldn't go in to the fitting ffssssssssssssssss. Imperial pipe greatttttt so showed the home owner explained what was happening and that I needed to change more pipe work to convert from imperial to metric then back again so was going to cost more. She wernt haveing any of it "you said you said you said" was not listening to what I was saying or showing.
Lucky I didn't cut it out just put it back together "bye then"

grrrrr

Always worth keeping 3/4" to 22mm metric couplers and olives on board. I normally check it first if it looks imperial by using an adjustable as a micrometer and compare it to a bit of 22mm.

Always worth keeping 3/4" to 22mm metric couplers and olives on board. I normally check it first if it looks imperial by using an adjustable as a micrometer and compare it to a bit of 22mm.

Yep couldnt agree more.
I have encounted the old 'you said, you said ' lot before, just put it down to experience pal, Thank F you didnt cut it out

Like the trick of using the adjustable as a micrometer

Very cheap rpm, you dont need a fancy digital one

Still got my 8" Mitutoyo Digital calipers. Paid well over £100 at the time, now as cheap as chips. An adjustable wouldn`t of been any good when working the Lathes and the Mills though lol

These were block n tackle big motors not pick up one handed little babies. Used to repair housings by boring out oval to circular and sleeving the housing and metal spraying shafts then turning down to original, good days with a good crew of guys.

I always have 22 x 3/4 end feed connectors and a little bag full of 3/4 olives.

For a job like that you really need to be saying it will cost between x and y so you are covered.

Silly question time.

I take it you were using a 22mm compression stop tap? Why not just put an imperial olive in and jobs a good un no extra cutting etc.

no sympathy at all sorry - us older ones know all about this and expect it
.................not true I when young many moons ago really screwed up CHK

Ok as goz666 likes it I will explain. Back before some of you were even thought of I and my mate did a single pipe c/h system in the cheaper part of Bath. The house had an undercroft - a low heigt cellar. Ace ! being 20 I could crawl all around under the downstairs floor get covered in muck but
pick up all the drops from the new rads and hook them into our NEW pipework.

All good so far BUT there was a rogue box of 22mm/3/4 no 1 fittings ( yes the ones with the green painted end) but in the dark not visible. Ileave it to your imagination the mayhem under that
floor covered in flux with fittings that did and did not fit and a blowlamo that was flaming out

Outside in the daylight the problem was solved and the blowlamp found faulty - I went back to the plumbers merchant - once thro the door the blowlamp hit the wall just above the assistants head and the box of fittings shortly after somewhere nearby

I am older and more sensible now most of the time CHK

Ok as goz666 likes it I will explain. Back before some of you were even thought of I and my mate did a single pipe c/h system in the cheaper part of Bath. The house had an undercroft - a low heigt cellar. Ace ! being 20 I could crawl all around under the downstairs floor get covered in muck but
pick up all the drops from the new rads and hook them into our NEW pipework.

All good so far BUT there was a rogue box of 22mm/3/4 no 1 fittings ( yes the ones with the green painted end) but in the dark not visible. Ileave it to your imagination the mayhem under that
floor covered in flux with fittings that did and did not fit and a blowlamo that was flaming out

Outside in the daylight the problem was solved and the blowlamp found faulty - I went back to the plumbers merchant - once thro the door the blowlamp hit the wall just above the assistants head and the box of fittings shortly after somewhere nearby

I am older and more sensible now most of the time CHK

Been there CHK, also been miles and miles away from the nearest merchants and realised the next hour is about to be lost through travelling there and back for a 3/4 olive. Mistake never repeated, I carry 3/4 olives and 3/4 to 22mm End Feed fittings just in case at all times.
As for the job above, I would've done the job and lost the bit of money. word soon gets round when you don't complete the work, especially in a small town.

Prey tell me chk what is a blowlamo I don't have one..brum

Went to do a job in the evening just changing a stopcock (what I thought was 22mm pipe) isolated at the meter, made my new section of pipe up with the new stopcock in. Drained down just about to whip the pipe slice out then thought hummm I'll un do the compression fitting. So took that section out "nicely" cleaned up the existing fittings went to slip my new section in anddddddddd the 22 pipe wouldn't go in to the fitting ffssssssssssssssss. Imperial pipe greatttttt so showed the home owner explained what was happening and that I needed to change more pipe work to convert from imperial to metric then back again so was going to cost more. She wernt haveing any of it "you said you said you said" was not listening to what I was saying or showing.
Lucky I didn't cut it out just put it back together "bye then"

grrrrr

if your pricing that tight you couldnt run to two couplings your working too cheap

Make sure I have end feed 22x3/4 couplers, 3/4 olives and imperial/metric philmac fittings for the incoming black plastic you come across a lot.

I havnt had the bottle to change a stop tap yet so I guess this little thread will job my memory when I do one, I like the adjustable spanner method will try that :)

I always quote an extra hour for small jobs. If its done as normal the customer pays less than they were quoted. Helps with unforeseen issues and the customer is always happy to pay less than they thought they would

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damn imperial pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock