Currently reading:
Connecting PEX to Copper?

Discuss Connecting PEX to Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PinkyPerky

Hi
I have to plumb uponor quattro pre-insulated underground pipe at boiler house and house ends. This
consists of 3 32mm and 1 25mm pex pipes.
I am not familiar with this pipe. I need to connect 2 of the 32mm pipes to
28mm elbows and the other 32mm and 25mm to 22mm straight/elbow brass
connectors for 28mm and 22mm copper. Same at both ends.
What do you recommend as Uponor want a fortune for 8 wipac connectors?

using the uponor wipac connectors as thats what the company provides

Uponor Wipex couplers are the way forward... Example below, but available from lots of places.

Uponor Wipex Coupling, 10 Bar / 95 deg C

Make sure you grease the bolts on the fittings when you do them up, as they do like to snap with very little force applied if you don't.

Not sure if the rehau/calpex compession fittings would work ok on the uponor? Probably would but probably not recommend by uponor

I'm installing uponor 25mm aqua single next week and I'm going to try my new uponor Q&E fittings on it. Much cheaper if it works. Its above ground, so no big deal if not. The insulated fitting price was extortionate!

I'll check those ones out

part of it is down to the fact they warranty it will work without any leaks and a small cost £20 each is b all compared to re excavating trenches to repair leaks from chealer joints, you dont seem to recognise thats those couplings are not expensive! If they were £45 + each then I might sympathise with you

They are the I've seen but that would be £160 for the 8:(

Whats the issue?
Customers paying.

if they are willing to fork out for hundreds of quids worth of pipe then a few fittings wont matter

if its for yourself, dont be so tight.
they arn't expensive, you'll be crying when you have a flooded house from wrong fittings used.

Last edited:
I'm installing uponor 25mm aqua single next week and I'm going to try my new uponor Q&E fittings on it. Much cheaper if it works. Its above ground, so no big deal if not. The insulated fitting price was extortionate!

its a different type i think, this stuff is more ridgid and you cant expand it

Whats the issue?
if its for yourself, dont be so tight.
they arn't expensive, you'll be crying when you have a flooded house from wrong fittings used.

It is for myself. Sure I'm tight but hate being taken for a ride by Uponor:wink5: There is nothing special about 32mm pex so
I would suspect that there are manufacturers out there who make an equivalent fitting at a sensible price. That is why I asked.
These connectors are just sleeves with an o-ring which the pipe is compressed onto.
There will be no need to dig up a trench as the connections will be internal.
Let me know if the Q&E work.

Shouldent of used the uponor in the first place.........

I know. I intended using copper in armaflex in foil in land drains but got exactly the length of uponor I needed on ebay for £200 which is less than the copper would have cost.
That was before I knew I would need 8 connectors at £20 each excluding the copper connectors:annoyed:
Perhaps someone has some unused ones or knows of a good discounter

I know. I intended using copper in armaflex in foil in land drains but got exactly the length of uponor I needed on ebay for £200 which is less than the copper would have cost.
That was before I knew I would need 8 connectors at £20 each excluding the copper connectors:annoyed:
Perhaps someone has some unused ones or knows of a good discounter

So 360 quid for 11m of uponor + fittings and your complaining.....

That would have been about 800 quids worth in pipe alone

You're tighter than a ducks butt, and thats flippin water tight.

Just connect it up with some hose and jubilee clips and be done.

Ok so u got a grands worth of pipe and your comparing it to copper in a bit of insulation. Spend the money and stop being such a Doyle! Love threads like this! Do it properly or just push some 15mm speed fit through and use that. I have avoided commenting but your clearly doing it in cheap, stop it

Last edited by a moderator:

Unfortunately not! It would be good to find the bits I want on ebay but unlikely....

The problem is that Uponor own Wipex so one has to look for alternatives to get value for money. I made that mistake long ago buying IBM PS/2 systems - Proprietary kit costs you.
The Uponor Quattro pipe I have has 32mm x 2.9mm for 6bar Heating F & R and 32x4.4 and 25x35 for 10bar DHW. So I could use Calpex for the F&R but that is probably proprietary too!
I know I am trying to do it on the cheap but that is because as a pensioner I know the value of money. Those in the trade may be willing to blow their customer's money on the expensive proprietary kit:oops:

Unfortunately not! It would be good to find the bits I want on ebay but unlikely....

The problem is that Uponor own Wipex so one has to look for alternatives to get value for money. I made that mistake long ago buying IBM PS/2 systems - Proprietary kit costs you.
The Uponor Quattro pipe I have has 32mm x 2.9mm for 6bar Heating F & R and 32x4.4 and 25x35 for 10bar DHW. So I could use Calpex for the F&R but that is probably proprietary too!
I know I am trying to do it on the cheap but that is because as a pensioner I know the value of money. Those in the trade may be willing to blow their customer's money on the expensive proprietary kit:oops:

it isnt even the value of money, we all pride ourselves on doing stuff the right way, sure go about it in the cheapest way possible (we dont suggest expensive routes for the hell of it) but use the suitible product with what you are doing.

sure you could use someone elses product, you have health issues and someone buys the property a year down the line, the bodged fitting fails and their poor kid gets scolded from it.

A few years ago a boiler failed, pumped over, the tank wasnt of suitible material and the poor kid below died when the tank failed.

see our point?

if you do something, do it right.

at 360 quid thats still cheaper than copper, insulation and ducting, also you havent had to lay a watermain assuming you have used one of the pipe for that.

you have a top of the line product for a fraction of the price, dont ruin it by being tight.

You are equating 'alternative' with sub-standard or bodged. What we are talking about is a brass coupling between a bog standard plastic pipe and a bog standard copper fitting!!!! The fitting itself is extra. If a fitting is designed for the same specification of pipe it isn't a bodge. Some people always buy original car spares but I for one prefer OE after market spares which may be made by the same company but a fifth the cost.
You said I 'shouldn't have used Uponbor' which suggested you knew of cheaper acceptable alternatives. If you know which, why not just list them so that I and others will know in future

You can see the insurance loss adjuster in your head.

Nice to see you used a good quality pipe, shame you didnt decide to use the correct fittings, warranty void, claim in the bin.

Time to realise the true value of money.

Hi PinkyPerky

I am confused. Why would you be interested in the warranty offered by Uponor?

You have no contract with Uponor. Your contract is with the ebay reseller that sold it to you.

uponor said:
Uponor Limited (“Uponor”) guarantees [to the original purchaser/
customer
] that pipes and fittings sold by it are free of defects in materials
or manufacture under normal conditions of use for a period of 25 years

My added emphasis.

nice one Ray, in the end people may realise that cheap and ebay arent the promised land :)

Ray you are confused! I was responding to a post which said I should remember the value of money and the guarantee lost.
I have yet to see a worthwhile guarantee and Uponor's is worse than most. You cut off the quote at the point where it limited it to replacing a faulty pipe or fitting excluding any damages like the unfortunate child mentioned earlier or any flooding etc.
For the info of those that 'like Rays post' it says
"Where a claim is made during the guarantee period (2 years) and products are proven
to be defective in materials and/or manufacture at the time of delivery,
Uponor will supply replacement products free of charge. This is the exclusive
remedy under this guarantee."

Last edited by a moderator:
pinkyperky you are flying perilously close to the wind referring to a fellow member as an "unfortunate child". please be respectful to other users whether their opinion is relevant to you or not this is a free society and every one is entitled to their own opinion.

I am always respectful of other members even when they call me tight!
I was referring to the case of the kid who died, see Post 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting PEX to Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock