Currently reading:
close coupled toilets...

Discuss close coupled toilets... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I have just spen the last 2hrs tring to fix a leak on a close coupled toilet. Replaced with new donut and all and water still kept dripping out of a wingnut.when it is flused any way. So am guessing water as its flushes is bouncing back up the toiler and onto pan. Am surd I hearx someone say they used plumbersmate before? Is this right as I for the life of me cannot get it to seal. Man what a struggle!!!!!! I have beengoing nuts

one of the main causes of this type of leak is that the cistern is being cranked forward by the wall thus not sitting on the pan squarely.
get this right and you dont need a doghnut.

prove me wrong, pull the pan forward!!

REDSAW,

I hope you are right but not right, I did think of saying what you just did originally, but thought no plumber would fit the cistern so it was not sitting on the pan square front to back, it's the first thing I do, just let the cistern sit there before tighten the screws, go look down the back of the wall and then under the mating edges, when I can see it's square only then tighten the wing nuts, if he comes back and says your right, well Boyle s and Charles Law and all the psychometric charts need to be re-written or I'm not a plumber.....and the first law of physics and I forgot plumbing is not going to be declared a trade next week after all. Another way is to assemble the pan and cistern before you slide it all back into the pan connector making sure when the pan is in the socket the cistern just touches the wall, look in the video below. 2 mins in if you don't want to watch all the easy bits. This is all very well unless you have a very heavy pan and cistern, I fitted a Cooke & Lewis pan and cistern at home 4 weeks back and you couldn't do it this way, much too heavy and you need to lift the pan over onto the floor brackets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhtHpZtxd48

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also add that not all rubber donuts are made the same, I have used some that are quite hard rubber and do not squash to fit properly and normally leak. The slightly softer rubber ones are good or as others have said use both rubber and foam.

I would also add that not all rubber donuts are made the same, I have used some that are quite hard rubber and do not squash to fit properly and normally leak. The slightly softer rubber ones are good or as others have said use both rubber and foam.

Absolutely right Mark

The first time they encounter a problem that many people have fitted a new toilet tank leaks piece to be empty. This is a common problem and the answer is 99% at the same time. This tank should be installed in the toilet bowl full 90 degrees. This apartment is crushed between the two sides is as big as the toilet or donut rings, rubber washers, allows. Where is the tank, and even a little beyond the donuts and water lifts a lot of pressure, leakage is exposed.

Can you give us that in English?

REDSAW,

I hope you are right but not right, I did think of saying what you just did originally, but thought no plumber would fit the cistern so it was not sitting on the pan square front to back, it's the first thing I do, just let the cistern sit there before tighten the screws, go look down the back of the wall and then under the mating edges, when I can see it's square only then tighten the wing nuts, if he comes back and says your right, well Boyle s and Charles Law and all the psychometric charts need to be re-written or I'm not a plumber.....and the first law of physics and I forgot plumbing is not going to be declared a trade next week after all. Another way is to assemble the pan and cistern before you slide it all back into the pan connector making sure when the pan is in the socket the cistern just touches the wall, look in the video below. 2 mins in if you don't want to watch all the easy bits. This is all very well unless you have a very heavy pan and cistern, I fitted a Cooke & Lewis pan and cistern at home 4 weeks back and you couldn't do it this way, much too heavy and you need to lift the pan over onto the floor brackets.

Installing a close coupled flush valve \ push button cistern - YouTube

He he he. Thanks mate. That was really helpful. Nice little video

Worth checking just inside the top of the pan inlet for an obstruction or buildup of scale. We are in a very hard water area and the scale can build up causing splash back.

REDSAW,

Installing a close coupled flush valve \ push button cistern - YouTube

alot of the sanitaryware nowadays, for want of a better word is shey-ite, it's common to see the back edge of pans running off, so when you sit the cistern on, it just follows the shape of the pan.

sometimes you have to have the cistern off the level to avoid a gap at the front.

i blame quality control myself, or lack of it, it's the old stack them high, sell em cheap attitude. :disappointed:

alot of the sanitaryware nowadays, for want of a better word is shey-ite, it's common to see the back edge of pans running off, so when you sit the cistern on, it just follows the shape of the pan.

sometimes you have to have the cistern off the level to avoid a gap at the front.

i blame quality control myself, or lack of it, it's the old stack them high, sell em cheap attitude. :disappointed:

I completely agree with you, they lean over in the kiln and they just send them out knowing some one will pack them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to close coupled toilets... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock