Search the forum,

Discuss BSPP / BSPT - What am i missing!? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Why is that outlets such as Screwfix and Toolstation, for example, never identify fittings as BSPP (parallel) or BSPT (tapered)? They all just get labelled as BSP and it seems there is a reliance on the purchaser to ‘know’ what they require and that the part they are purchasing is one or the other; damned difficult to tell from a picture on a website.
Many threads on here (no pun intended, unless you find it hilarious) aren’t specific either and so i fear that the issue is my ignorance, rather than an industry-wide problem!?
I get that you can put a tapered thread into a parallel thread and parallel-to-parallel can be achieved with something like Loctite 577, if necessary. But surely it’s better to know that you are buying the correct part, rather than relying latterly on some form of thread sealant to make it secure?
Coming from a different engineering discipline where everything is nailed-down, i find it very odd. But again, i might be highlighting my naivety. :-/

All the Screwfix / diy ones are parallel

these days you won’t get much tapered threaders unless it’s something like nipples / npt

All the Screwfix / diy ones are parallel

these days you won’t get much tapered threaders unless it’s something like nipples / npt
Thanks for the response Shaun. I’ll try and remember that, as i have wasted countless hours reading hundreds of (boring or irrelevant) reviews to determine one way or the other. Very frustrating for the ignorant amongst us!
[automerge]1595705647[/automerge]
To digress for a moment if i may, I read that BSPT females tend to be parallel as well, unless marked as Rc, with the male being tapered. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Reply to BSPP / BSPT - What am i missing!? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock