Currently reading:
Auto stopcock

Discuss Auto stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ibrahim Kalay

Hello folks,

Have seen or used one this auto stopcock? Unfortunately I can not add youtube video ( as I am new member )

Looks and sounds great for in house floods / burst pipes.

Is there any alternative to this?

Thanks

Hello folks,

Have seen or used one this auto stopcock? Unfortunately I can not add youtube video ( as I am new member )

Looks and sounds great for in house floods / burst pipes.

Is there any alternative to this?

Thanks

No, this is way more sophisticated. I will DM you the youtube link, maybe you can post the link on to this thread.

[video=youtube;RiiKWw8-2Qo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiiKWw8-2Qo[/video]

[video=youtube;3iq27ALILNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iq27ALILNg[/video]

Think I prefer the surestop.

[video=youtube;c6RNdYxWSWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6RNdYxWSWI[/video]

The Auto stopcock seems too complicated to me. 'It'll turn your water off if it senses a continuous flow of more than 45 minutes...' - damage already done. If you know you've got a leak can you turn it off at that box? I'll have a little read of their website before deciding if I think it's a worthy bit of kit.

I am pretty good with turning everything off when I leave my house if I am leaving for days but I don't do it everyday ( except the lights ).

Sure stop is very good and simple but this product is even better I think ( despite the higher price ). It has auto stop function, if house left ( or rented to tenant ) it will stop the flow before flood the house.

The Auto stopcock seems too complicated to me. 'It'll turn your water off if it senses a continuous flow of more than 45 minutes...' - damage already done. If you know you've got a leak can you turn it off at that box? I'll have a little read of their website before deciding if I think it's a worthy bit of kit.

Thanks for your reply and time, I am totally with you on that 45minutes damage. But it will still save hell of a damage if it runs 4-5 hours or a day.

Don't like it, it's only 'auto' 45 minutes after the leak has occurred and does it sense a leak if it's 'only a drip'? I think a Surestop switch on the wall next to your front door would be a better idea - you'd be unlikely to forget to turn it off when going out or locking up for the night.

Water flow detection
15mm Min 0.5ltr / min
22mm Min 1.0ltr / min

Hmmm ^

Last edited:
You talking about the Surestop valve?

has it's uses, particularly for the elderly.

if I go to a customers house and spend about 15 mins turning out what ever is under the kitchen sink then pulling out washing machine looking for a stopcock that does not work, out comes the surestop leaflet, good way to get extra work. have to explain about 4 times that no electric is needed!

I like the idea of the switch, I an appliance engineer and spend so much time messing about when the isolation valve on the feed to the machine is knackered and the customer does not even know where their mains stopcock is or when they do their is 500 years worth of carrier bags and washing up liquid under the sink to fight past

These days I just clamp the hose and put on a spare set of valves until I need to reconnect it n

once youve had 45 minutes of water damage the rest is not going to make a lot of difference

unless its a hoilday let empty over the winter and the old lead pipe burst

i have just done a shower block and the customer wanted me to use a surestop o each shower for the people to operate shower on / off instead of a timer valve, i have to say they worked a treat and looked very impresive! the valve and cable were in a access passage behind them!

As i have pretty easy access to my existing stock cock i have put myself off from this expensive autostopcock now. But will get surestop with very first work on our system as its old and takes ages to turn water off.

Thanks for your replies

dont you think that a surestop mounted tidy on plastic cladding (8x4) looks much tidier with the pipes all hidded from user and acsessible for maintanance in the service passage behind them , and then a small fixed head in the top l, this allowing acess without closing the shower block if any work is needed doing to an individual shower, piped showers on surface looks tidy if you work is tidy for the first month or so , but after a while we all know it looks awfull and un-hygenic. it looked very professional anyway i have to say! ill get some pics up! the idea was that the whole block could be cleaned each morning with a hosepipe quickly , floor gullies and underfloor heating to dry out then!

The 45 mins on the "Auto Stopcock" product can be adjusted to whatever you like. I personally would time how long it takes to fill a bath, then set it to that as a maximum. Also there is an over-ride, so it you want to leave a garden sprinkler on you can over-ride it for up to an hour. Also they shut off if temp drops below 3degC. I like this product, think I will give them a ring and find out some more!

Don't like it, it's only 'auto' 45 minutes after the leak has occurred and does it sense a leak if it's 'only a drip'? I think a Surestop switch on the wall next to your front door would be a better idea - you'd be unlikely to forget to turn it off when going out or locking up for the night.

Water flow detection
15mm Min 0.5ltr / min
22mm Min 1.0ltr / min

Hmmm ^

How could it stop just a drip?
You simulate a leak by running the tap...
Ive never fitted 1 of these as im kinda of old fashioned come plumbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Auto stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock