Currently reading:
Annoying Sponsor Alert

Discuss Annoying Sponsor Alert in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Stafford

Firstly, thanks for welcoming me into the hallowed portals of the plumbers arms! Deeply honoured, and all that guff. ;) And it means I can discuss prices, which I don't want to do on the open forum.

I have been giving some thought to how to deal with my split personality - half of me is a forum sponsor and slightly annoying merchant, and the other half is forum junkie, (half)wit, raconteur, stats geek and pub-bore.

From your point of view, I can see that after a hard day of being p1ssed off by your merchant, you may not want to come down the pub and find another merchant trying to sell you stuff.

So here is what I have in mind.

If I start a thread selling something, I will put "Sponsor Alert" at the beginning of the thread title. If you don't want to be sold to, then just ignore any thread with that in the title.

In the course of another thread, if someone asks about a price or a product and I am answering with my business head on, then I will put a note like this at the start <sponsor alert> so you can skip my pointless blatherings. Unless I forget. Which is quite possible, depending on the state of the Jack Daniels bottle.

So a business post will look like this:

Ray said:
<sponsor alert>

Download our [DLMURL="http://www.williams.uk.com/pricebusters/pricebusters_autumn2012.pdf"]pricelist here [/DLMURL]and when it asks you for a password, type in "tradeonly" with no spaces, all lower case, and without the inverted commas. Please keep this password private to the Arms, because we don't want the public calling in and irritating us. You might like to see the "buy-one-get-one-half-price" offer on Fernox TF1s (page 9), the "buy-one-get-one-free" on Cassellie showers and taps on page 31, or some really silly radiator prices on page 19. The big rads are ridiculously cheap, because I more or less stole them from Vaillant UK.

If you are in the southeast, [DLMURL="http://www.williams.uk.com/branch_locator.html"]click here[/DLMURL] to find your nearest branch. If you are not in the South East, sorry, you will have to wait until we get our ecommerce set up. If you are truly desperate, or have a high value order worth putting on a pallet, please PM me and we can try to work something out.

An ordinary post will look like this:

Ray said:
It's Croppie's round isn't it? By the way, do you know any commercial guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to open a yorkshire branch!!!

Well, its taken us 40 years to get from Pompey to Slough (or Reading - not sure which is further north?). At this rate of progress, we should just about reach Yorkshire in time for my great-grandson to sell something to yours... :)

We are working on the ecommerce side now. Easy thing to do, difficult thing to do right. We won't be rushing it.

Another one? I was feeling guilty about making that video of you Ray.

Guilt's gone now.

When areyou opening a branch up in Northern Ireland?

Another one? I was feeling guilty about making that video of you Ray.

Guilt's gone now.

That's ok. My guilt has also gone.

When Bod PMd me to invite me into the Arms, I PMd back "only so long as I don't have to get Croppie's round in".

The I saw the "Rat" thread and felt just a teensy bit guilty.

Reckon we're level now.

When areyou opening a branch up in Northern Ireland?

Never. We have a tradition in new branch openings of giving away free beer to customers who come and open an account in the first week. You'd have accounts in 5000 different names by the end of the week, and the marketing budget won't stretch that far. :)

That's ok. My guilt has also gone.

When Bod PMd me to invite me into the Arms, I PMd back "only so long as I don't have to get Croppie's round in".

The I saw the "Rat" thread and felt just a teensy bit guilty.

Reckon we're level now.

Never. We have a tradition in new branch openings of giving away free beer to customers who come and open an account in the first week. You'd have accounts in 5000 different names by the end of the week, and the marketing budget won't stretch that far. :)

I'm not that transparent surely!

I'll get Papa Croppie to open an account in your Croydon branch!

Awww ray there me thinking you was going to open a branch over here just for croppie and me ;-)

How about we open a branch, but instead of the big red and blue W over the door, we'll put up a sign that says "Salvation army temperance league".

That should keep the Croppie at bay!

int eastbourne full of coffin dogers. think you should have spent your money in yorkshire. theyll all be dead before getting to the merchants

Couldn't agree more, and Lee and few other yorkshire lads will be along shortly to reiterate the need for a big W in yorkshire...

Would make a lovely change from going to:

Plumbase, city plumbing, plumbcentre, allaboutgas, boiler heating supplies, crossling, Plumbfix...

Couldn't agree more, and Lee and few other yorkshire lads will be along shortly to reiterate the need for a big W in yorkshire...

Would make a lovely change from going to:

Plumbase, city plumbing, plumbcentre, allaboutgas, boiler heating supplies, crossling, Plumbfix...

I'm in agreement! I think Morley would probably be a good spot.

good business model ray!.

there is nothing like what you do around here, all the merchants full of land lords!.

where would you be operating in the toolstation type operation ie; low stock but loads of outlets?

good business model ray!.

there is nothing like what you do around here, all the merchants full of land lords!.

where would you be operating in the toolstation type operation ie; low stock but loads of outlets?

Not really low stock. Trade customers don't like to hear "we'll get one for you tomorrow". They prefer "Back the van up mate and we will get you loaded". Obviously we can't keep everything, but with interest rates on the floor, it's better to have stock than cash.

Last company that came up from the south and died a death was jayhards bit further down than you exeter way swallowed whole by city plumbing

Yep - Jayhards were originally a Southampton firm, and back in the 80s and 90s were in a permanent war with City Plumbing who were also independent back then - HQ was in Salisbury. They absolutely hated each other. Both got bought by Travis Perkins, but City was bought first, and it was the City Plumbing name that stuck. Several other indies also got taken over at the same time or just a bit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Annoying Sponsor Alert in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock