Discuss 15mm to 10mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BD10NER

hi all

If i put a piece of 10mm onto the 15mm already feeding a shower would this increase the
pressure flow slightly ? at moment the flow is not great but ok, and the unit is 9kw triton
with thermostat, just going by a suggestion from a friend...will it help any.

Umm no

Your shower will only work as fast as it can. Even if it was on the largest main in the world.

Only would reduce flow- not that an electric shower needs much flow.Is mains water decent pressure at other parts of house? Is shower hose & head blocked? Some showers are better flow than others despite same Kw.

lol simon after reading replies i intend too, thanks guys i had a feeling it was a dopey idea..more fool me asking the question.

hi all

If i put a piece of 10mm onto the 15mm already feeding a shower would this increase the
pressure flow slightly ? at moment the flow is not great but ok, and the unit is 9kw triton
with thermostat, just going by a suggestion from a friend...will it help any.

it will have the opposite affect, it will reduce the flow?

Another friend may say put in a 6" in nail instead of a fuse or put your head in the oven

why would you put your head in an oven, modern gas is not toxic in the way towns gas was. an im pretty sure a 6inch nail will be too big, you would probably need a smaller one

You gotta remember that a shower is like a powerful kettle. its gotta reduce the flow slightly to be able to heat cold water almost instantly. Best way to see this is by putting the shower right down on cold then right up on hot. Cold obv will have a better flow and pressure than hot so like SimonJohns said, Your shower will only work as fast as it can no matter what the pressure or flow rate is of your cold mains.

Way back in the heady days of the early eighties, when electric showers first became popular, the first models contained a 10mm spiral heating coil. To this end and as microbore heating was the norm and 10mm pipe was common place, many early shower installations were piped in 10mm microbore. The logic was that as the shower coil was 10mm, then the cold feed could be 10mm. Was so easy to install showers with microbore back then as it was done in one coil without bends and only required a reducer at each end.
Pressure was never a problem and I know of 2 that are still in use today.

However, modern showers require a 15mm cold feed and if not properly installed to the manufacturers instructions will invalidate any warranty.

Way back in the heady days of the early eighties, when electric showers first became popular, the first models contained a 10mm spiral heating coil. To this end and as microbore heating was the norm and 10mm pipe was common place, many early shower installations were piped in 10mm microbore. The logic was that as the shower coil was 10mm, then the cold feed could be 10mm. Was so easy to install showers with microbore back then as it was done in one coil without bends and only required a reducer at each end.
Pressure was never a problem and I know of 2 that are still in use today.

However, modern showers require a 15mm cold feed and if not properly installed to the manufacturers instructions will invalidate any warranty.

Not a problem with the old 7KW showers but now the output and hence the water required is much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 15mm to 10mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back