Discuss Service/isolating valve for outside tap -- need advice in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and brass compression fittings throughout. It's all working well except...

I added a new outside tap, which I joined to the end of the new run of cold pipe via a double check valve to make sure of compliance. The DCV I picked was a grey plastic push-fit with a built-in drain valve. It was quite expensive and described as "suitable for outside pipework", but it failed in last night's frost. I had to remove the DCV this morning and put a cap on the end of the cold pipe. This was very annoying indeed, although it didn't affect the shower and sink, which are upstream of the DCV.

I need a DCV and a drainoff to take the place of the grey plastic one. I guess an isolation or a service valve would be a good addition, too, in case the outside tap gives me grief.

A well-known builders merchant sold me a brass DCV with built-in drainoff for £8 this morning. It looks OK, but if someone is aware of a DCV/isolator/drainoff combo I'd gladly pay through the nose for it. Any thoughts about using brass DCVs outside? I'd be perfectly happy putting, say, a brass compression 'T' out in the cold, but I don't know how durable the plastic mechanism of a DCV is.

Best, NP

Reply to Service/isolating valve for outside tap -- need advice in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back