Discuss Do bottle traps need an air vent? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

ade

Hi everyone,

I am planning to renovate my small en-suite and to replace the current standard basin with a counter basin.
I have some doubts regarding the trap, I didn't have the chance to remove the basin yet (it's full of sealant) but from what I can see from the camera of my phone, current trap is looking similar to this one:

Screenshot 2021-09-19 at 01.21.25.png

I am no expert so I am here asking your help :)
Can I remove all of that, put a pipe inside the wall, attach it to the main pipe below the floor as it is now and then attach to it a simple bottle trap like the one in the image below?

RDBOTBLK-d1_460.jpg

Do I need anything else like an air vent?

Also, does anyone have experience with the self closing waste valve called WV-1 from McAlpine? It seems interesting as it's just few cm high and might look well under the counter basin.

Many thanks in advance!

It really depends on how your drainage system is installed does it run to a soil stack which is vented to atmosphere ? A few pictures may help us . Kop
Hi Kop, thanks for your reply!

As far as I can see, both the shower and the basin have a pipe that merges then with the WC waste pipe, attached is a picture of the external waste pipe, the en-suite is located on the first floor so the pipe you see in the middle is the one I am referring to

Attachments

• photo.png
    photo.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 12

Reply to Do bottle traps need an air vent? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink...
Replies
Views
In my last posting, I requested assistance in exchanging a waste that had been fitted using silicone, without actually removing the basin. Mission...
Replies
Views
New Sink Will Not Drain - Conversion of 2 Basin Stainless Kitchen Sink to 1 Basin Porcelain Kitchen Sink with Disposal. Sink is on Peninsula and 5...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions...
Replies
Views
Back