Currently reading:
Virtue is its own reward... yeah RIGHT!

Discuss Virtue is its own reward... yeah RIGHT! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

There's a neighbour of mine, widow, elderly, etc etc. A few moths ago her gas oven packed up. It was obsolete, couldn't get a new gas valve, so, feeling sorry for her, my wife and I hunted around on the internet, found out who still sells gas ovens, drove her to Comet about 15 miles away. Then, when it was delivered, I fitted it for her. No charge.

Came home today to find a competitor's van outside her house, and an empty Vaillant 837 box in the garden. She's had the old back boiler taken out and a combi conversion. She didn't even ASK me to quote. :cuss::38::83:

I'd understand if I'd been undercut, but FFS to not even be asked after doing all that for her! Some people are just <censored>...

The older I get the less kind I get, and that's because of people like her.

Long ago given up doing the odd cheap/free job for someone in the hope a bigger job will come along. They rarely do imo. Pretty crap though nonetheless.

There's a neighbour of mine, widow, elderly, etc etc. A few moths ago her gas oven packed up. It was obsolete, couldn't get a new gas valve, so, feeling sorry for her, my wife and I hunted around on the internet, found out who still sells gas ovens, drove her to Comet about 15 miles away. Then, when it was delivered, I fitted it for her. No charge.

Came home today to find a competitor's van outside her house, and an empty Vaillant 837 box in the garden. She's had the old back boiler taken out and a combi conversion. She didn't even ASK me to quote. :cuss::38::83:

I'd understand if I'd been undercut, but FFS to not even be asked after doing all that for her! Some people are just <censored>...

The older I get the less kind I get, and that's because of people like her.

Ask her, I would. And I'd let her know there are no more favours forthcoming. Or you could bide your time and absolutely sting her for something.

been there, you keep their heap of junk going for years and then you call to service it and they chirp they have a new one fm a competitor, didnt ring you for a quote as they couldnt remember your name etc!!!!!!!!!

my next door did the same to me after years of looking after them!!

I got to say that of all the freebie jobs i have done, i have not (to my knowledge) been sh4t on. Its not often i do the odd good turn but i tend to get a feel for who needs a little help and sometimes under price or do for free saying i'll put it on the next bill.

I got to say that of all the freebie jobs i have done, i have not (to my knowledge) been sh4t on. Its not often i do the odd good turn but i tend to get a feel for who needs a little help and sometimes under price or do for free saying i'll put it on the next bill.

good on you there, think most of us tend to let the oldies and strugglers off, mine was this afternoon, old lass panicing about large water bill, so isolated her stopcock and watched her meter continue to circle round, leak in garden or more likely under the concrete lounge floor. Told her to get some insurance fm sw water pronto and then call them out, bill in post. I dont go as far gardening or lifting breakers, bad back n all that, but she knows the way ahead now.

I honestly think some people don't even realise that people who service boilers can also replace them.

There are also some people who feel awkward mixing business transactions with friendship.

She might have felt that it would be imposing on you - that you would feel obliged to do it at cost, or even at a loss.

I have been coned out of a icos pcb this wk . I carry one off an old boiler for test purposes - looked at a mexico he for elderly lady - put old pcb on to ensure it was that then went to remove it and she said please can I leave it on as she wold freeze to death while I priced and got her a new board .phoned her with a price for new board $185 and she said that was very expensive thankyou and put the phone down.its just the principle of it -while I was there I asked if she wanted that board for £30 and hope it lasts and she said no she wanted new . think I will have to call next wk and ask for it back

I have been coned out of a icos pcb this wk . I carry one off an old boiler for test purposes - looked at a mexico he for elderly lady - put old pcb on to ensure it was that then went to remove it and she said please can I leave it on as she wold freeze to death while I priced and got her a new board .phoned her with a price for new board $185 and she said that was very expensive thankyou and put the phone down.its just the principle of it -while I was there I asked if she wanted that board for £30 and hope it lasts and she said no she wanted new . think I will have to call next wk and ask for it back

Hang on, let me get this clear. She,s got your "test" pcb in her boiler and she hasn't paid for it?
Good god man, she extracting the urine, get round there. Get it back and charge for two hours, one for diagnosis and one for returning to remove.
You can't let people do this when your self employed, you'll go bust. And people will hear your a soft touch.

And next time don't leave the board in. Tell them you can't for insurance purposes, it's not covered as its a second hand part and any damage caused by it isn't covered. Fire, damaging other components in the boiler etc.

You don't know who she is. You know what she wants. If she is looking for ransom, you can tell her you don't have money. But what you do have is a very particular set of skills; skills you have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make you a nightmare for people like her. If she gives you the board back now, that'll be the end of it. You will not look for her, you will not pursue her. But if she doesn't, you will look for her, you will find her, and you will kill her......

You don't know who she is. You know what she wants. If she is looking for ransom, you can tell her you don't have money. But what you do have is a very particular set of skills; skills you have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make you a nightmare for people like her. If she gives you the board back now, that'll be the end of it. You will not look for her, you will not pursue her. But if she doesn't, you will look for her, you will find her, and you will kill her......

Harsh but fair.
Remind me never to cross you Croppie.

That has to be from a film or your more mental than I thought lol

and thats why you need to be called Sam!

small angry man :)

I felt sorry for her .I have learnt lol bet shes sitting there nice and cosy with her gin and tonic laughing . going round next wk to get back or money for it.

Could go down route of ID if she dosnt pay? Did u do all your checks as it was only a test ? You left appliance off but custard using and refusing to let u make good. Transco very helpful number?

Could go down route of ID if she dosnt pay? Did u do all your checks as it was only a test ? You left appliance off but custard using and refusing to let u make good. Transco very helpful number?
it was just the principle of it . going to give her benefit of the doubt calling next wk to ask her for it back or money for it - it could be she is very forgetful , I will never be rich I am to soft lol

it was just the principle of it . going to give her benefit of the doubt calling next wk to ask her for it back or money for it - it could be she is very forgetful , I will never be rich I am to soft lol

Is this her?

old-lady-tshirt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Virtue is its own reward... yeah RIGHT! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock