Currently reading:
Vertical Flue Terminal

Discuss Vertical Flue Terminal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zarjaz

Quick question: I had a bloke out a few days ago to do a gas safety inspection, prior to me moving house. After leaving him to it, he came in to say the vertical flue had failed, because the top cap was missing. He said it had likely corroded, and gotten blown away, and that I would need a whole new terminal assessmbly. Fair enough, I thought, these things happen and the boiler is 10 years old. I asked if he could simply fit a new cap piece, but he said these were not available, and as it was galvanised, nothing else could be fashioned from an ABS cap, etc., to fit.

So here's the thing, I went up the ladders to have a look (boiler is in garage - flat roof). It's an Alpha boiler. The flue terminal top is ABS. How can ABS plastic corrode....?! It looks to me like the top disc has been twisted off, as the four little supports are twisted and snapped. There's no way this is corrosion. And I don't think a bird pecked it off!.

Anyway, lesson learned: but will I need to buy the whole terminal kit and get it fitted? The product code is 6.200075. It's around £95. As it is fitted onto a flue extension, I imagine it will just drop in, and so won't take too much labour time?

Sad that cowboys are still around.

The flue terminal was diagnosed as broken and needed replacing.

The flue terminal IS broken and needs replacing.

Is the O.P suggesting the person doing the inspection broke the terminal off, otherwise I don't se the problem?

The flue terminal was diagnosed as broken and needed replacing.

The flue terminal IS broken and needs replacing.

Is the O.P suggesting the person doing the inspection broke the terminal off, otherwise I don't se the problem?

Yes. I am indeed suggesting that the person doing the inspection broke the end cap off the terminal. I rather doubt that these things just break off by themselves...and do so in such a way that the supporting pillars are bent, with evidence of a twisting force having been exerted - not just snapped or "corroded" as I was told.

I'm not planning to fix this by myself. I will look to friends for a Gas Safe fitter that is recommended, rather than via Yell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could do no worse than have one of us come look at it for you. Not a single one would dare do you a disservice for fear of negative feedback, they'd be torn apart!

I'm not doubting you but is it possible you could post a pic of the damage?

Yes. I am indeed suggesting that the person doing the inspection broke the end cap off the terminal. I rather doubt that these things just break off by themselves...and do so in such a way that the supporting pillars are bent, with evidence of a twisting force having been exerted - not just snapped or "corroded" as I was told.

I'm not planning to fix this by myself. Rather, I will turn look to friends for a Gas Safe fitter that is recommended, rather than via Yell.

the gas fitter you get in will know how to fit and test accordingly

Or you could do no worse than have one of us come look at it for you. Not a single one would dare do you a disservice for fear of negative feedback, they'd be torn apart!

Not by you Croppie, despite your fearsome avatar, word has it that your a pussycat!

Not by you Croppie, despite your fearsome avatar, word has it that your a pussycat!

Xmas Frame00001.jpgXmas Frame00002.jpgXmas Frame00003.jpg

You can see that one of the support prongs has been ripped right off. Not sure how that could be considered "corrosion", as the fitter told me...

Why would he or any other engineer do this? Was he recommended to you?

That's definitely broken but for the life of me I couldn't imagine a qualified gas engineer deliberately breaking that terminal.
I could be wrong of course but there are much easier ways to scam a customer if one is so inclined.

When was it last inspected? Could have been broken for years.

It looks to close to the wall to me, whats the distance between the flue and the wall?

Could be camera angle though.

When was it last inspected? Could have been broken for years.

Serviced just 4 months ago....

I get it that things do break...but don't get why I was told that the cap had corroded, and when I asked if it could be repaired, I was told that it would need welded. I know that it's possible to do chemical welds, using solvents, but the impression I was given was that it has rusted off, and that the whole terminal needed replacing.

Anyway, what's done it done, and I have no conculsive proof. As someone said, there are other ways of "scamming", if that is what is going on. I was just looking for an opinion here about the "corrosion", from guys that know flues.

I now need a reliable fitter that covers South Lanarkshire!

Serviced just 4 months ago....

I get it that things do break...but don't get why I was told that the cap had corroded, and when I asked if it could be repaired, I was told that it would need welded. I know that it's possible to do chemical welds, using solvents, but the impression I was given was that it has rusted off, and that the whole terminal needed replacing.

Anyway, what's done it done, and I have no conculsive proof. As someone said, there are other ways of "scamming", if that is what is going on. I was just looking for an opinion here about the "corrosion", from guys that know flues.

I now need a reliable fitter that covers South Lanarkshire!

stick a post in the I need a plumber section on here one of the lads will sort you out

More than likely the guy just looked at it from the ground or standing on something and never actually wet on the roof. Many vertical flues are made of metal. He just reported what he saw. The top is off it.

Btw that flue section will not be a lift out drop in swap. For starters it is too close to the wall. It will need moved. (we don't make the rules)
It looks like it has been felted in with the roof so the felt will need cut as it is stuck to the flue, the roof patched and a new flashing piece put it.
2 - 3 hrs work.

I hear you - though when I asked if it might just have fallen off (in my naivity!), he said no and that it definitely wasn't on the roof, which means he must have been up there.

When it was fitted, it was in line with standards. I know these have changed, and it is now not to current standards.

And to think all I needed was a safety certificate for the lawyer so I could sell the house!

how do you know what the standards were when fitted, could be the original fitter got it wrong. RE TECHNICIAN BREAKING IT, YOU JUST NEED TO COME DOWN HERE AND LOOK AT THE DAMAGE SEAGULLS, AND JACKDAWS CAN DO. Its a bit ripe to accuse someone when you have no evidence, and a broken top doesnt count unless you went up and inspect pre and post the technician visiting.

how do you know what the standards were when fitted, could be the original fitter got it wrong. RE TECHNICIAN BREAKING IT, YOU JUST NEED TO COME DOWN HERE AND LOOK AT THE DAMAGE SEAGULLS, AND JACKDAWS CAN DO. Its a bit ripe to accuse someone when you have no evidence, and a broken top doesnt count unless you went up and inspect pre and post the technician visiting.

Thanks for your contribution. But I have no idea what you mean about fitting it incorrectly. It's a single piece at the end of the flue. And the flue has been inspected as part of the annual service every year.

As for seagulls and jackdaws...:annoyed:

Zarjaz you have already made a great decision by putting a post in the I need a plumber section. One of the lads will look after you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical Flue Terminal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock