Currently reading:
this seems to happen to me ALOT!

Discuss this seems to happen to me ALOT! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys and gals.

just got another landlord on my books. he has 3 properties which are all on "pay as you go" gas meters or "pre pay". i arranged to do a cp12 on all 3 of his properties on the same day as its a 40 mile round trip. i got there on time all tenants knew i was coming and the landlord turned up to show me around aswell, got into first property, no credit on the gas meter, no sign of the card and the tenant wasnt about, went to second flat and it was the same story, then we went round the corner to the next house and yet again there was no credit on the gas meter, ive never had it happen to 3 in a row on me but it seems that i get at least one cp12 per month that i cant do because the tenants are skint and cant afford to buy gas or the card is in their husbands wallet and hes at work etc, its really annoying,

anyone else have this happen to them much?

I hope you are still charging the letting agent for your time and trouble as these problems are not any of your doing:)regards turnpin

well this new landlord i decided id let this one off free this time as its guaranteed work every 12 months (they remember you for scratching their back and doing them a favor) normally i would charge for time wasted, especially if a letting agent is involved.

Could be deliberate attempt to get a cert without a propper check!Make it clear that the L/L pays,whether you issue or not.If it happens again,hint that you might look for reasons to disconnect/condem appliances.Is there a sign of staining above the fire,even slight?Using a magnifying glass?The onus is on HIM to ensure the checks are possible.If they aren't done,the appliances should (in my opinion) be treated as AR.It all depends on how long it goes on,and if you trust the L/L is trying to co-operate.

well the landlord did seem nice enough, ive met some right nasty ones who dont care about the welbeing of their tenants in the slightest,
only problem was that he gave me the impression that hes one of those that wont buy anything for the tenants unless its absolutely necessary. when he asks me to go up next time ill be sure to go over everything in close detail.

How can you issue a cert with a different meter. You won't be able to prove gas soundness ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All sounds a lil sketchy to me. How do the gas board look upon you for not paying for the gas you have just used to test all appliances.

If the tenant doesn't top the gas up. Cut them off and when they get a top up,go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you put your tube on the test nipple, blow into it and then place it carefully on your guage, you can test with air, however you cant fire up appliances so you still have a problem

oddly enough i do have a spare meter, trouble is its in my loft in one of our many storage boxes lol. the damn van isnt big enough to carry it about. been looking for ages for a new one, :(

Coming from a housing background, I wish it was as easy as 'cut them off', but you can't do that. The landlord doesn't have the right to just cut services and can get done for it.

When we encounter no gas on the pre-pay at annual service, we ask the tenant if we can cap until they can get credit. If they agree, we note the capping on the CP12 and the tenant signs it off. That then leaves the onus on them and allows us to issue a cert showing a capping/make safe. Plus the engineer at least gets a some ££'s for a carcass check.

We get agreement to cap about 8 times out of 10.

We've got an agreement with a supplier where we kick over the gas/elec supplies to them on void. I've approached them with possibility of having a few meters issued to our engineers which are read on a quarterly basis for the sole purpose of a swap when no credit on the pre-pay. Unfortunately, they weren't interested.

Coming from a housing background, I wish it was as easy as 'cut them off', but you can't do that. The landlord doesn't have the right to just cut services and can get done for it.

When we encounter no gas on the pre-pay at annual service, we ask the tenant if we can cap until they can get credit. If they agree, we note the capping on the CP12 and the tenant signs it off. That then leaves the onus on them and allows us to issue a cert showing a capping/make safe. Plus the engineer at least gets a some ££'s for a carcass check.

We get agreement to cap about 8 times out of 10.

We've got an agreement with a supplier where we kick over the gas/elec supplies to them on void. I've approached them with possibility of having a few meters issued to our engineers which are read on a quarterly basis for the sole purpose of a swap when no credit on the pre-pay. Unfortunately, they weren't interested.

i carry a spare meter, but have stoped using it as a anti tamper device caused me a slight embarrassment and a lot of explaining,never again.

Um, yeah, there's that too!

When I was training I was desperate to get in voids to practice removing a meters and purge & relight. Every flippin' one of them was pre-pay...

Um, yeah, there's that too!

When I was training I was desperate to get in voids to practice removing a meters and purge & relight. Every flippin' one of them was pre-pay...

the ones with the big A AND B buttons were you have to time them actually when there going to display numbers for gas rating nightmare.

Did a landlords a couple of months ago with no credit left on meter.
Went to local corner shop and put £10 on a blank gas card - did the work & then dropped the card back to landlord.
Stuck the extra on bill - no problem.

Having never had to use a prepay card on my own house, will one fit all the others? If so, I like Blod's idea of just chucking a few quid on the bill but having my own knocking around.

pie in the sky,be good to me and you will get all my work,he got you to go to the properties he should pay for your time.

never had one of the anti tamper devices go off on me yet. mind you where is the number you have to call if you do manage to set them off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to this seems to happen to me ALOT! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back