Discuss Thermal imaging cameras in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I may have to look for a leak on a heating system losing pressure every day. No sign of a visible leak anywhere, including prv and condense in case heat exchanger is knackered. All ground floor heating pipework is in concrete flooring, has anyone hired a thermal imaging camera and had any success in pinpointing the leak or leaks with one?

No, I just pour in a few bottles of f4 in it.

I will take that as a no then, tempted to hire one but don't want to waste the money without any results.

have you checked the main hex for leaks straight down the condensate drain? common fault

i have few times recommended specialized company who uses thermal imaging and they found leaks with success, its just so expensive to even hire :/ it would however cost more to try to investigate and use even borescope so this was cheaper option for customer.

thought of isolating gf pipework fm boiler then seeing what happens

thought of isolating gf pipework fm boiler then seeing what happens

Thats what I did last time capped off the pipes leading to down stairs rads and when pressure held over 48hrs bingo. Repipe downstairs rads.

Checked the condense for leaks. Not easy to isolate downstairs pipework as all nice wooden flooring upstairs and it must be chased into a wall somewhere on a drop as there is no sign of them or any boxing where they could drop.

Can't you just isolate the boiler with the valves?

I have already ruled out the boiler, I know its a system leak. Losing pressure every day, no sign of any water through the ceiling. Plastic pipe in concrete floor on ground floor which has already had 2 leaks repaired. The leak is in the concrete floor, I just don't know how the best way to find it is. It not a simple re-pipe as there are about 14 rads downstairs and would have to lift expensive wooden flooring upstairs to get at pipes for drops so would end up being very costly.

Checked the condense for leaks. Not easy to isolate downstairs pipework as all nice wooden flooring upstairs and it must be chased into a wall somewhere on a drop as there is no sign of them or any boxing where they could drop.

best get your thermal camera on the walls as well then, best get the customer to get in touch with their insurers, it could be very costly

It really is. It is under a BG contract and they have said they will no longer work on the system as it has cost them too much or some load of old crap. They want it sorted and I want to try and offer the best solution to help them out. Thermal imaging was all I could think of to pinpoint the leaks to repair and then pressure test before going down the extremely costly route of a re-pipe.

they need to contact their household insurance as you may be ripping up floors etc, forget bg insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermal imaging cameras in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock