Currently reading:
Something wrong here?

Discuss Something wrong here? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spotted this article in a mag recently (though a September issue...)

onvr.jpg

^ I thought this was illegal?

Then from another thread read I got this;

Just in case you need proof, taken from GSIUR regulations 1998

Regulation

work on a gas fitting to be carried out only by a competent person; and employers of gas fitting operatives, together with other specified persons (eg those in control of the work such as building contractors), to ensure that operatives have the required competence for the particular work being done. Employers of persons carrying out work on gas fittings/service pipework and self-employed persons doing this work are required to be a member of a class of persons approved by HSE; at the time of publication of this ACOP/guidance this means that they should be registered with the Gas Safe Register

Definitions of a gas fitting

gas fitting” means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used

The mag didn't seem to condemn what the guy did, despite running regular gas safe columns, awareness articles etc.

Is what he did legal/illegal?

Thanks

how many times I have been watching them home improvement programs ,
where people buy houses on auction and do the houses them self
So many times thy show illegal installs , on one program they showed boiler case was smashed and burner and gas valve where hanging out on the gas pipe only along with the electrical controls

It's illegal to make false claims .

"a reliable efficient replacement" my rrrrr,s.

Can't see why it's illegal as you only have to be a competent person plus he didn't touch the gas, it also doesn't mention who done the electrics

grey area this - wonder what gas safe would say

Nothing to do with GAS SAFE
As it says anyone can carry out gas work if competent and not as a business ?
One day it will not be all about money but a really workable system but as long as money is king safety will always come second I am afraid !
As for competent who is going to spend money proving or disproving if mr homeowner is competent or not ?
He might get taken to court if he kills his kids until then all is ok !

Anyone can go into a plumbing merchant or b&q and buy a gas appliance even curry' u can buy a gas cooker which I find ridiculous

This arguement comes up on a regular basis imho if your daft enough to stick your name on someone else's install and it goes pear shaped at a later date then you deserve all you get

It's all in TB 014

Attachments

• 26 July 2011 - TB 014 - Gas work.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 31
Nice one mike

however i came across a boiler that was not signed off and gas safes advice was 'your the engineer on site so sign it off'

laughable gsr

This arguement comes up on a regular basis imho if your daft enough to stick your name on someone else's install and it goes pear shaped at a later date then you deserve all you get
The problem is you are not going to get anything as noone is interested as no money in it !

how many times I have been watching them home improvement programs ,
where people buy houses on auction and do the houses them self
So many times thy show illegal installs , on one program they showed boiler case was smashed and burner and gas valve where hanging out on the gas pipe only along with the electrical controls

Was working in a house and tey had that same one on , looked like an old apolo ?

fact is, he wasnt being paid to do the install, and if he has done his tickets previously then that proves his competence and as it was someone else did the gas work. so iaw withe rules as shown in TP's post on the updates on ACOPs recently

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Something wrong here? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back