Currently reading:
Software

Discuss Software in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

splinterdream

Hello all.

Starting up my own business after 18 years working for others and was wondering how i am going to store customer details and how to do a reminder service, I know there is software out there which can do wonders for us gas engineers with this type of stuff, does anyone use any, can recommend any, is it worth the cost and does it make life easier?

thanks for any advice.

Good question, look forward to any answers. I just use my laptop and keep a record of every service I do in the diary, then get an auto reminder each year. Simple and effective, but I'd like something better if I'm honest.

Not heard of any plumbing or trade related software but I'm sure there's something you'll be able to create using a mysql database, just look into it on Google and what not.

I use it for storing info and statistics from some other software that I use.

I use microsoft access its pretty simple to set up a database then look monthly for reminders

I would also be interested in this if anybody has anything good

I input my customers details into sage accounting software without their permission so I don`t think its any different

Try HBXL or Easy Price Pro does everything for you in the smallest detail check them out on there web sites.

How much do these companies charge? is it a one off payment?
I want to embrace the modern technology out there if its of benefit to myself and the customer but want to keep monthly outgoing costs at a min untill i build a good customer base.

I am also considering whether an andoid phone such as an i phone is a good investment for its online qualities or whether i should just buy a cheap phone to keep costs down. Does anyone else use a PDA or android at work?

I use an iPhone and iPad. Both are great for carrying around reference materials such as manuals, Standards, regs, etc.

hi i use a company called bright pearl they are invoicing and quoting but also diary and job managment so you can have service reminders
it costs 20.00 a month and is well worth it it also links with gmail and blackberry so you can have reminders linked on your phone

hi i use a company called bright pearl they are invoicing and quoting but also diary and job managment so you can have service reminders
it costs 20.00 a month and is well worth it it also links with gmail and blackberry so you can have reminders linked on your phone

How does it work ? do you have a link to there website

I use an iPhone and iPad. Both are great for carrying around reference materials such as manuals, Standards, regs, etc.
CMairiD, what do you think of the Ipad? I use the iphone at the moment, great piece of kit, and have been looking at the ipad ,but was concerned at the small (60G) drive can you carry all the manuals etc withiout compromising speed

Stani, I'm using my iPad for manuals. Granted, I don't have a host of them on there, but I certainly have enough to cover our 3000 properties and umpteen different brands and models. I also have British Standards, some IGEM docs and any other crap I think I'll need in the field. Given that and a load of apps, I still have 25GB of 32GB free. I have a DVD of 100's of manuals that's 3GB, so if I chose to load them all up it wouldn't be a problem. Mine's an iPad 1 and it's rather zippy. No complaints on speed.

Now, all that being said, if I were a traditional engineer, I don't know that I'd go with the iPad because of it's 'nickability' and the fact that I'd no doubt drop grips on some expense kit. I'd probably look at a lower end Andriod tablet just for manuals and use my iPhone for the cool stuff. ;)

Cheers, at the moment I use a laptop with all the relevant manuals, easygas and easycert for certification and like you building regs and have managed to keep it in good nick, its just I need to upgrde, it takes so long to start up now. can you load the dvd up on site?

No, I'd have to load the DVD manuals from my Mac at home onto the iPad. If you do get one, look at GoodReader for reading PDFs. Nice little app.

If you switch to the iPad, how are you going to keep using your EasyGas/Cert? That all looks Windows-based.

I enjoy computers and mobiles etc as much as the next man but doesn't anyone use a diary and/or notepad with a pen anymore?

No, I'd have to load the DVD manuals from my Mac at home onto the iPad. If you do get one, look at GoodReader for reading PDFs. Nice little app.

If you switch to the iPad, how are you going to keep using your EasyGas/Cert? That all looks Windows-based.

damn good question, i will have to look into that . cheers mate

i hope you have enough customers to need such a device, I use an i phone and macbook and ical which is good enough for my needs .next thing is to get an ipad 2 that takes pictures time dated address etc and stick it in my case for boiler manuals etc

i hope you have enough customers to need such a device, I use an i phone and macbook and ical which is good enough for my needs .next thing is to get an ipad 2 that takes pictures time dated address etc and stick it in my case for boiler manuals etc
How would you get boiler manuals onto the ipad 2 ?

I use an app called GoodReader. It has built-in wi-fi setting where you type in the ip address of your iPad (the software will tell you iPad's ip address) into your browser, then you upload from there.

Alternatively, you can sync via iTunes, but I use the other way.

I use an app called GoodReader. It has built-in wi-fi setting where you type in the ip address of your iPad (the software will tell you iPad's ip address) into your browser, then you upload from there.

Alternatively, you can sync via iTunes, but I use the other way.

I am not really sure what you mean.
I have a load of man details as pdf,s on my laptop ,is it possible to get this on to a ipad 2 ?
Thanks

Fitting a wb tomorrow - if the customer pays me this week I know what I'm buying on Sat ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Software in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock