Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Skid Marks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several toilets in my house and they're used daily by several teenagers. I'm not sure why but the teenagers obviously don't sit centrally on the toilets and almost always leave skidmarks. The two first floor toilets will usually come clean even after an hour or two with just an extra flush. One of the ground floor toilets however will never come clean just by flushing, you've invariably got to get down and dirty with some elbow grease and a toilet brush.

I've closely inspected all the toilets and the glaze on the porcelain seems pretty similar, it's not like some of the toilets have a better finish than others. None of the toilets were particularly expensive but they're all recognised brand names.

Any ideas why some are more self cleaning that others? Also I've tried putting a hanging thing inside the cystern (toilet duck) which turns the water blue but it doesn't help with the problem. Is there any product available that might assist?

IMG_1242.JPG

Lateral thinking is what's needed

Wow, that bathroom just gave me a particularly nasty 70's acid flashback. I like the way you're thinking but we've got 5 toilets in total so it might be easier to feed the teenagers something that turns their **** white rather than painting all the bowls brown :).

Some toilets, - in fact, quite a lot ot toilets, don't flush or wash well.
But you also should check that there is not a blockage, slight or otherwise, inside the rim where the flush enters the bowl.
If it has little holes in the china (up in under the rim where only a mirror will let you see) then some of the holes can be a bit blocked with limescale etc. A piece of bent wire might clear them.
Also the cistern to pot joint can on rare occasions be blocked by plumbers mate or similar by an installer & this can change the water flow direction.
Most of the time it is just a poorly designed toilet & needs a new quality loo.

low water use flushes seem to be the cause of this issue which isnt going to get better till they vacuum it out of you one day

The marks are generally at the back of the bowl and the water flow there is the strongest when they're flushed. Funnily enough the two toilets that self clean the best are the two newest ones that have less water in the cisterns. The older ones have a far stronger flush but they're the ones where it sticks the most.

What's wrong with cleaning them ?
Nothing, they're cleaned regularly. Problem lies with two teenage sons and a constant stream of their friends through the house, not all of whom are good with a brush.

There is an option with some makes of toilets & basins to have them made with an invisible film that keeps them clean.

You could always take photos of your sons skid marks & show the photos to their girlfriends every time they visit. :grin:

Can you apply the coating as a retrofit?

I'd rather not show his girlfriends, they're my best chance of getting him to move out and find a place of his own ;)

How about you teach your teenagers how to use a bog brush every time they visit the crapper?

I've nothing useful to say. But I am loving this thread!

Unfortunately I do most of the cleaning in my house and we only have 2 loos.

If we ever move house and move into a property with more I will insist Mr TP takes it out to minimise my toilet cleaning chores!
Actually I can't understand this modern need to have loads of ensuites, showers and toilets in a house (yes there was just one outside when I was young!)

Mr TP frequently reminds me that its good for us that every one else wants an excessive number of bathrooms!

Haha,

Honestly, you should just open up a can of kick bum on your boys and get them to clean up after themselves.

That or you could try polishing your bog hahaha. T cut?

I haven't tried T-Cut but I did try silicon spray, PTFE spray, casting release agent and even WD40 plus one or two others but with limited success only. The PTFE was the better of the bunch but it didn't have any effect after a few toilet uses. Maybe there's a business opportunity here if you can find something that works for a week or so, just bottle it and label it 'Skid Stop'. If you do then please put me down for a few bottles and I'll provide your testimonials for you sales literature if it works.

I'd rather have skid marks than bankers to be honest, skid marks are much more socially acceptable.

Make them clean their own skids off and if you don't see any improvement threaten them with violence.

Perhaps its a medical condition? Maybe he has a wonky sphincter. ..:eek:

Explain that either they can use the brush to solve this problem, or you will shove it up so far that the whole question of skidmarks will be purely hypothetical for some weeks . :)

[video=youtube;5qhDyM-knNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qhDyM-knNs[/video]

There is probably a hydrophobic coating for that. I imagine it has to be applied at manufacturing though. Much like the waterless urinals. Nothing wet will stick to a hrdrophobic coating.

why dont you stick their heads down the loo each time they leave an extra deposit they will soon learn to clean the loo for the next user and put and end to this filthy dirty disgusting habit, i am away to throw up thinking about it,yuk

Most skid marks can be wee'd off with a good strong morning wee, you don't see many toilet brushes around these days as they are always in a vile and disgusting state.
I tend to go outside and get a twig or a branch in the garden and wrap it in toilet paper and then throw it out of a window (not the toilet paper).

Cleaning the scummy build up of encrusted wee and jobbie below the water level is nothing that caustic soda wont shift, just leave to soak but don't let anyone jobbie in there without flushing and/or laying toilet paper on the water to stop it splashing back up your donk. :cheesy:

I've set up an experiment that will be ongoing for the next few months. I've organised 7 different products that I'm testing out on the two worst toilets. Here's the line up so far;

chain lube.jpeg Cobrawax.jpeg Mistermin.jpegmould release.jpegolive oil.jpg

spray and cook.jpegVisor demist.jpgwoodoc317_1.jpg.jpgPTFE Spray.jpg

I'm applying each product once on a bowl that I cleaned with a caustic soda solution followed by a solvent. I'm gong to check each bowl once or twice each day and if/when there's skid marks I'm going to note how many flushes it requires to remove them.

I have already been applied the chain lube and the cobra wax so game-on.

Last edited:
Whatever floats your boat marvoni......keep up updated on the results. :asshole::001_9898: :smiley2:

I've set up an experiment that will be ongoing for the next few months. I've organised 7 different products that I'm testing out on the two worst toilets. Here's the line up so far;

View attachment 16184 View attachment 16185 View attachment 16186View attachment 16187View attachment 16188

View attachment 16189View attachment 16190View attachment 16191View attachment 16192

I'm applying each product once on a bowl that I cleaned with a caustic soda solution followed by a solvent. I'm gong to check each bowl once or twice each day and if/when there's skid marks I'm going to note how many flushes it requires to remove them.

I have already been applied the chain lube and the cobra wax so game-on.

i think the only thing missing from your haul there is a set of ********! Make them clean it ffs

those products will definately work......

........ram them up his bum one at a time and voila no more skid marks:44:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Skid Marks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock