Currently reading:
Siliconr, friend or foe.

Discuss Siliconr, friend or foe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Went to a property today, previous plumber had installed bathroom, and waste was leaking.

Knocked on door and was one of those that you think straight away, DIY, just because of look of customer.

Any way got upstairs and was leaking from waste washer, tap tails washer and the tap connections.

I sealed them all with sealant and had the usual, we will pay you next week, story. But managed to get money out of them eventually.
My question is, do you professionals out there, seal every joint with silicone, for instance
  • Shower connection to wall
  • bath to bath connection (tap to bath connection oops!!)
  • waste to bath
  • overflow to bath
Personnaly speaking I think in this case the bath was a cheap one and the taps were cheap.

Also while on the subject, which way up does bath waste washer go up, cant remember, is it with the ribbed end at top or ribbed end at bottom, I mean the black ones that go under bath, not white one which is above bath.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont want to use silicon as i prefer to think washers will do the job, however after messing around with so many wastes due to dripping i just silicon them all now, not orth the hassle

Thanks to everyone who replied on this, went back to customers today, put some plumbers mate on, job done.

My new rule is, if there is likely to be movement, plumbers mate, if it doesnt move silicone

Last edited by a moderator:
It aint called Plumbers Mate for no reason. Best stuff for sealing wastes.

By the way, if you want it to set (it's a non setting putty) mix some linseed in it or mix it with standard putty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Siliconr, friend or foe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back