Currently reading:
Rad sizing

Discuss Rad sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
When sizing rads using the method ft3 times 5=BTU's does this include the extra 20% for condensing?

Also, i am quoting for a whole house install and am thinking of putting in a system boiler. Does anyone have any makes they like? I am looking at viesmann or Vailiant. Probably vailiant 618.

So all floorboards up and down stairs. rip all old out and replace with new system. Boiler, 10 rads and hot water cylinder. How long should this take on my own do you think?

And any rough ideas of pricing? I like the add 20% to final bill method as I always seem to come up short in the end from something i missed

Hi all, that are interested the book I recommended does not seem to be available from Amazon. Had a quick look around & if you are not a member of CIPHE then cheapest is through this link £23.99.
http://www.centralheating.co.uk/Dome...g-Design-Guide
I think it is the "bullhooks" not just for heat loss.
Peter, I use Myson Rads or Heatline CD (one of the same thing) which are free apply on-line, there is Stelrad's one called STARS which you can download & I am sure lots more, but to use them effectively you need to understand the basics which is where the books come in.
The level 3 JTL book has a section in the system planning at the back, which is not to bad.
Hope this helps

Why don't you create your own CD chris incorporating a program and the necessary background knowledge?

Put it on Amazon and ebay, this site, etc, and it might be a nice little earner for you.

Get a sponsor, i.e. one of the manufacturers, or maybe Screwfix, or a national merchant, etc, and you'd be well away.

"The A to Z of radiator sizing and system planning written by a plumber" - should go well.

I'll email you with my Pay-Pal details - usual commission! ;-)

Thanks but no thanks Pete, I will leave it to the professionals, I could not add anything to whats out there.

You have a great advantage over the rest because you are actually doing the job.

As this site often shows, there are a lot of people who have done the college courses, etc, who want to know about applying the knowledge in practice - which is what you know about.

No need to re-invent the wheel - the Internet makes it very easy to sign-post people to chapter & verse on standards, regulations, etc, etc. The nitty-gritty is: 'where to start' (chapter one); 'planning' (chapter two); 'the hardware' - copper v plastic, etc, and so on.

A lot of people who write on technical issues have never done the practical side, or if they have, they're often out of date with the latest technology, practice, regs, standards, etc.

A classic example being shown on this link - it gets good reviews, but the feedback says it mainly covers older systems:-

Central Heating, Installation, Maintenance and Repair: Amazon.co.uk: Patrick Mitchell: Books

You seem to know your stuff, and clearly have an enthusiasm for the theory and the practice - ever thought of teaching in F.E.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock