Currently reading:
Plumbing horror story

Discuss Plumbing horror story in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alec

as someone working in the building industry (albeit behind a desk) I have a very healthy respect for a good tradesman, and as a new home owner discovering the horror of cowboys

Yesterday I thought I'd come across handy website when I needed a simple job doing in my flat - mybuilder.com

having secured a quote of £60 to service two stop cocks and release a third I thought (having read the plumber's customer reviews) i had found a bargain

With limited access he soon concluded the stop cocks were not serviceable although he turned up with nothing apart from a pair of regular pliers which was strange. I explained the main reason i wanted to release one of the stopcocks was to be able to do some minor adjustments in the kitchen myself without fear of flooding. he said he could cut a pipe and quickly fit a valve with little water leakage of we ran all the other taps in the flat.

He borrowed a pipe cutter of me and some wire wool to clean the pipe. He concluded the pipe was chrome plated as my pipe cutter was struggling. It was his intention to fit a speedfit service valve onto this pipe! he eventually gave up on this and went down to his van for 15mins. He returned with a compression fit valve which he assured me would do the job.

So he quickly disconnected an existing compression joint producing the inevitable torrent of water. and he struggled for about 10 minutes to get the new valve in place (although still leaking). By this point my kitchen was underwater and the tenant from the flat below had come up to inform us that water was pouring through his ceiling.. my plumber was fairly aggressive towards him and to resolve the situation started smashing his way through some tiled boxing-in surrounding the stopcocks to get access. eventually the seized stopcock was closed and the water stopped.

the outcome - flooded kitchen in my flat, and the kitchen and bathroom below. I no longer have water in the kitchen or central heating (including shower)

and he still wanted his £60

I went down to speak to my neighbour below a bit later who turns out to be lovely old chap. He was even sympathetic! Later still the plumber started calling my mobile, I assumed to press me for payment..but maybe he'd felt some remorse

Sorry about the long rant but needed to vent. I do know a trustworthy builder who is talking to his plumber to try and get things sorted.

So what have I learnt
- don't trust mybuilder.com reviews, this guy's were clearly fabricated
- go with personal recommendations
- and don't look for a bargain with something like plumbing

Any other advice? & I know there were some pretty big hints that things were amiss in hindsight

Theres an expression i use for tools. Buy cheap, buy twice!! Guess its applicable to tradesmen too.

Theres an expression i use for tools. Buy cheap, buy twice!! Guess its applicable to tradesmen too.

I would disagree with that as bg aint cheap but are everybit as useless as the plumber in the op's thread !!The problem you have now is plastic encourages people to advertise as plumbers as its push fit paradise.The same old story about crash courses dont help either be a plumbs in 6 weeks etc etc .I am of the conclusion you either got it or not as i have also worked with time served plumbs who have been doing it for years and they still dont know what a he boiler is . Sadly its pot luck from yellow pages and recomends aint always the best.
In defence of the plumber maybe they were just having a shocker as it does happen to us all on occasions .

I'm on Rated People and can assure you that all my ratings are 100% genuine and I'm proud of my 5 star rating. One thing about Rated People is that Tradesmen have to show and prove that they have genuine qualifications and liability insurance. This information is displayed on the Tradesman's website on Rated People. This information is checked by them through the insurance database etc.

I would not have paid that so called plumber and I certainly would have reported him to that website he claims to be a member of.

That's what happens when you try and get something done on the cheap. Shame you had to learn the hard way.

i never did get my 60 quid.
think alarm bells would have rung as soon as he brought the pliers out.

did he leave you a feed back card?

urm, no.

He seemed genuinely convinced that he'd earned his £60 for the hour's hell he put me through

I will contact the website though where I found him. I looked again at his profile, where many of his 'relatives' have described him as 'polite and professional', I also noted he is a qualified gas safe engineer which scares the hell out of me

anyway, you live and learn

That's what happens when you try and get something done on the cheap. Shame you had to learn the hard way.

to be honest I was just looking for someone with personal recommendations and the website seemed to give this! I was happily surprised that he quoted £60, I thought this was due to him finishing a big job nearby

I'm more used to dealing with building contractors and know from experience when a tender is much lower than the competition there's inevitably going to be trouble

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to say alec, you appear to be relatively calm about the whole thing. I suppose stable door and horse bolting spring to mind.

to be honest I was just looking for someone with personal recommendations and the website seemed to give this! I was happily surprised that he quoted £60, I thought this was due to him finishing a big job nearby

I'm more used to dealing with building contractors and know from experience when a tender is much lower than the competition there's inevitably going to be trouble

but not in this case ?

Got to say alec, you appear to be relatively calm about the whole thing. I suppose stable door and horse bolting spring to mind.

what I didn't mention is that after the plumber left I went for a pint with a mate to calm down. when I got back I couldn't open the front door. combination of moisture inside and outside the flat had jammed the lock and the force i applied trying to open it bent the levers, had to get it drilled in the morning..... when I finally got in and cleaned up i felt surprisingly calm

What did he say when he phoned you back alec?

I didn't answer the phone. he called 5 times! his apology would have been worthless and there would be no chance that I'd let him back in my flat to try to rectify things. or he might have been demanding payment

The guy sounds like he has some massive kahoonas to be fair. Did he help clear up or offer to rectify with decorating etc? Dont know how these people sleep at night.

The guy sounds like he has some massive kahoonas to be fair. Did he help clear up or offer to rectify with decorating etc? Dont know how these people sleep at night.

Big balls are a pre requisite my friend and one day you will need them, but hopefully not in the posted situation:speechless:

Big balls are a pre requisite my friend and one day you will need them, but hopefully not in the posted situation:speechless:
yes, i'm ever aware that on more than one occasion the proverbial will hit the cooling device.
Fingers crossed not yet though matey :D

no. once the stopcock was finally forced into the off position (permanently) he suggested that he would come back another day and undertake an additional job to replace the stopcock. He seemed to be convinced that he'd earned his £60. he certainly showed no concern about the damage to my flat or the one bellow

no. once the stopcock was finally forced into the off position (permanently) he suggested that he would come back another day and undertake an additional job to replace the stopcock. He seemed to be convinced that he'd earned his £60. he certainly showed no concern about the damage to my flat or the one bellow
Get a lawyer on to him and sue the rse off him for criminal and negligence damage. I bet he doesn't even have insurance either.

Get a lawyer on to him and sue the rse off him for criminal and negligence damage. I bet he doesn't even have insurance either.

OK. am on hold with my local citizens advice bureau, will see what they say if i ever get through

Did you take pictures of the damage?

no but the damage is still there. I have cleared up though. I should have taken photos straight away but I still haven't really got my head straight.. But my neighbour did witness part of the horror of course so with his corroboration I don't think I will have too much trouble making my case

I have just started a claim with my building insurance. they will counterclaim I guess against his PI

I've never had buildings insurance before as it's my first property. should have been the first thing I thought of. d'oh

Just out of interest, did you ask about his public liability insurance.Surely you and the occupant below could claim on that ?

ok forget the above, guess youll know better next time, hope everything gets back to normal soon.

Just out of interest, did you ask about his public liability insurance.Surely you and the occupant below could claim on that ?

noted.. I will talk to him tomorrow. If he can get a couple of rooms redecorated I'm sure he'd be happy. To be honest his flat is in such a state you wouldn't notice the additional damage so he's not too bothered

his PI docs are available to see online, i have just looked at them - Public limit £2,000,000, Employers limit £10,000,000. Does that not sound a bit unlikely?

thanks for that..

no pli limits sound about right to me, £2000,000 for damage to third parties property and £10,000,000 for employees cover. it's what i have.

no pli limits sound about right to me, £2000,000 for damage to third parties property and £10,000,000 for employees cover. it's what i have.

ah ok.

I'm going to ask my insurers to re-house me temporarily - zone 2 London, that should hit his PI pretty hard... unlikely but its worth asking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing horror story in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock