Discuss People checking prices....... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

I don't mind generally but just had a woman call:

'how much too do an outside tap'

I explained that I'd need to come around and have a look because no two are the same, how close is the water supply to be picked up, where you want it to go, pipe runs etc.

'Well its a bungalow'

I explained that doesn't help really because the last bungalow I did she wanted a outside tap in the rear garden so I had no choice but to run the pipe work through the loft.

'how much was that?'

I explained that it costs nothing for me to come round have a look and then give a price on what I've seen.

The answer 'I'll call back'

Why does this muppet call me at 7pm in the evening to check the price shes obviously got from another tradesman and then not take the opportunity for a free visit.

Thats right, most people are dumb! :freak:

Dealing with people is the most arduous aspect of my working life!

She'll be one of these stupid arse people on rogue traders moaning that she has been ripped off, not because of dodgy tradesman but because of her own laziness.

It's just as bad on here. Lazy muppets who can't be bothered phoning round come on here asking how much their job is worth or worse still asking us if the price given by a plumber friend is a fair one so that we can all slag off the fellow plumber on a public forum for his pricing.

A strict policy of no prices given on the main forum should be adhered to, that's what the Arms is for.

She has been out in the garden ,watering the plants at the end of the day due to the weather and thought,instead of carting the water round how about an out side tap ,so thought ,I know,will ring my friendly local plumber for a estimated price so I can chew it over,don,t want to waste his time as probably rain tomorrow for 6 months and wont need it,little did she know her local friendly plumber was being wound up by his stupid friends not coming back to him about getting Gatwick airport!

Turn ya phone off and get ya self on holiday!!!!! :sailor:

She has been out in the garden ,watering the plants at the end of the day due to the weather and thought,instead of carting the water round how about an out side tap ,so thought ,I know,will ring my friendly local plumber for a estimated price so I can chew it over,don,t want to waste his time as probably rain tomorrow for 6 months and wont need it,little did she know her local friendly plumber was being wound up by his stupid friends not coming back to him about getting Gatwick airport!

Turn ya phone off and get ya self on holiday!!!!! :sailor:

Going going almost gone!

Your always so reasonable or disagreeable depending on your perspective:wub:

you should have given her a price over the phone, £45 or whatever, get yourself in the door, then it's extra for a brass tap instead of a plastic one, extra for a stopcock inside, you get my drift.
outside taps are money for old rope, no need to see the job beforehand, 99% of houses have a sink/ water supply on the outside wall.

you dont want to count the customers lost, better to count there money :smilewinkgrin:

I agree with the above but almost never do it.

Relatedly I had maybe a 5 minute conversation with a woman yesterday saying her outside tap was leaking and it was very old.

'I'd tend to just replace like for like' I said, '£45 all in'

'Could you re-washer it?'

'Hardly worth the bother, labour is the expensive bit on this job and I won't guarantee success on an old tap.'

'But I imagine washers are cheap'

'They are but outside taps only cost about a fiver and a new one should give you no probs for many years to come'

'Could you come out and just have a look at it'

'Well, there's really no need, I tend to just turn up and replace same visit. The price I gave you is for this'

'It only started dripping recently, I imagine the seating is fine.'

'Uh-huh. Would you like to book me to put in a new tap?'

'So you won't re-washer it?'

'I'm happy to try but won't guarantee how long it lasts or even if I can get it undone if it's very old'

'I better have it replaced then'

'Yes. And I'll throw in some happy pills to boot'

If I was a solicitor I'd already be charging her for the call.

I agree with the above but almost never do it.

Relatedly I had maybe a 5 minute conversation with a woman yesterday saying her outside tap was leaking and it was very old.

'I'd tend to just replace like for like' I said, '£45 all in'

'Could you re-washer it?'

'Hardly worth the bother, labour is the expensive bit on this job and I won't guarantee success on an old tap.'

'But I imagine washers are cheap'

'They are but outside taps only cost about a fiver and a new one should give you no probs for many years to come'

'Could you come out and just have a look at it'

'Well, there's really no need, I tend to just turn up and replace same visit. The price I gave you is for this'

'It only started dripping recently, I imagine the seating is fine.'

'Uh-huh. Would you like to book me to put in a new tap?'

'So you won't re-washer it?'

'I'm happy to try but won't guarantee how long it lasts or even if I can get it undone if it's very old'

'I better have it replaced then'

'Yes. And I'll throw in some happy pills to boot'

If I was a solicitor I'd already be charging her for the call.

Maybe she was just "of a generation" where people actually fixed things rather than replace. You should be able to rewasher a bib tap in under a minute with a 100% guaranteed fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to People checking prices....... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back