Currently reading:
noise of water in the main pipe to stopcock.

Discuss noise of water in the main pipe to stopcock. in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Our kitchen has been taken out and the concrete screed has been removed in preperation for a new floor. When I was doing this work I crushed the main copper pipe coming into the house and into the stopcock. I have replaced the damaged section of pipe but I can hear the sound of water / pressure running in the pipe as if there is a tap running elsewher in the house. I redid my pipework to double check and I have also fitted a new stopcock but I still can hear the hiss of the water (there are no leaks anywhere). Am I just noticing this as an issue now as the pipe was previously buried in the floor and also contained within a cupboard? Is this normal? I dont want to re screed the floor to find there is a problem.

Thanks

Darren

if you can hear hissing then 9 times out of 10 you have a leak in the pipe if its not passing your stopcock.

Is the hiss still noticeable when your internal stop tap if off?

Is the supply in from outside in the street exclusively to your house, not a terrace and feeding several nearby houses (the noise may be from flow to other very nearby houses)?

There may already have been a leak closer to outside on the incoming pipe before you damaged it or you may have disturbed a joint or opened up a smaller hole in the pipe.
Is the incoming pipe lead, copper or plastic?

Ideally you need to disconnect the internal pipework after the stop tap, fit a pressure gauge then turn off the street stopcock and see if the pressure holds.

Ideally you need to prove the street stopcock is not passing, first.

Check the easy stuff first:

What's your water meter doing while the 'hissing' is in progress?

Have you checked the float valves in your cisterns are not responsible?

Cisterns checked and glad we are not on a meter as I found a leak under the concrete screed floor

Pressure gauge used but as discribed but as soon as the stopcock outside the property was turned off the needle fell to zero.

The pipe coming in and up through the floor is 15mm copper. I noticed that there was a faint outline of what appeared to be a 4 inch clay pipe around the 15mm pipe which was capped with screed. I broke through the screed and at about 2 to 3 foot down the 4 inch clay pipe was full of water. I sucked up the water with a wet and dry vac (filled the vacumm) and immediately it refilled to the same level.

British Gas Homecare are now en route and I am just so pleased that we signed up for that a couple of months ago and discovered this leak before we had the new kitchen fitted as I think the leak is beyond a DIY job.

Thanks for the advice guys

Tbh good luck as they might say you will have to pay and tbh might as well to get it replaced with 25mm blue alk / poly

Reply to noise of water in the main pipe to stopcock. in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock