Currently reading:
Metric or imperial

Discuss Metric or imperial in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sag

I guess this will vary from newer plumbers to 'old school' plumbers. But, do you tend to use imperial or metric?

IE
1.25 inches / 32mm waste
1.50 inches / 40mm waste

Different merchants display them differently too, not sure if there is some E.U. rule that dictates this. I remember reading about market stalls & shops no longer being able to advertise in lbs and ounces without also displaying kg etc.

What do you tend to use/prefer?

For me, metric all the way. Why mess about with 1/4, 3/8 etc etc.

Depends on which pipe system your using. Most domestic pipe systems are referred to in metric sizes (plastic and copper) Steel pipes (malleable iron) are still imperial sizes.

i'm bilateralldecimalifraction type, the ones that was still at school when they decided to chuffin change it all!!!!!!

32mm (anything under 100mm) or 6'' to 15 foot
10meters or a mile away the rest is in yards!!!!

totally screwed me up anyhow!:/

Metric for measurements, spanner sizes, distance, copper, plastic and PE
imperial for waste, steel, threaded brass and endowment......

i cant see how anyone can just do metric?

I think the reference is saying 32mm is 1.25 inch instead of 1 1/4"

put that on paperwork and you look like an amateur.

I always use whats closest on the tape measure. Equally at home using either.

Cant stand imperial.
Should be ripped out on principal alone, which is why my tape is metric only.
They should all be metric only.
Any one who was originaly educated in imperial should either be retired or dead.
Should be ilegal to list a product under an imperial measurement.

I always use imperial when ordering waste pipe and fittings be it push fit or solvent. Strangely tho I use metric for overflow/ warning pipe and svp

it doh really mata as long as you don't get an idiot serving you, "we doh do 11/2 solvent, but we have 43mm " this is the time to punch the face and send him to work in mcdonalds.

I use 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2" and 110mm or 4" in plastic waste and soil. Copper pipe is always metric to differentiate it from old imperial. When I'm measuring it's whatever mark on the rule is nearest.

I use a bit of both really, whatever takes my fancy. I'm only 23 so have grown up with mm and cm but I got taught by me old man so he used ft and inches :)

Cant stand imperial.
Should be ripped out on principal alone, which is why my tape is metric only.
They should all be metric only.
Any one who was originaly educated in imperial should either be retired or dead.
Should be ilegal to list a product under an imperial measurement.

So do you talk about fuel economy in Km/litre?

When you go to the pub are you "nipping out for a pint" or "nipping out for 0.568261 litres"

I'm still bi-lingual.

And most plumbers ask for 3 metres of inch-and-a-half waste.

And this thread perfectly illustrates why 40mm solvent weld waste pipe won't go into a 40mm push fit socket:winkiss:

Recently, I was boxing in some bathroom pipes and I wrote down on the floor 17" X 52mm. I'm old. Why can't header tanks be given in bushels?

So do you talk about fuel economy in Km/litre?

When you go to the pub are you "nipping out for a pint" or "nipping out for 0.568261 litres"

I'm still bi-lingual.

And most plumbers ask for 3 metres of inch-and-a-half waste.

Don't forget the metric clock too ;)

We are really a mixed nation when it comes to it. I still have to try and calculate how big my steak is going to be when i order a 225g sirloin on the continent

Served my time (in the eighties) with a feet and inches man, quite staunch about it as well
Taught metric in college
Use metric usually, except when stating waste pipe/fitting diameters (but as Ray said, still ask for it in 3m lengths)
Only use imp when using screwed iron, find it easier calcing total lengths etc

Metric for measurements, spanner sizes, distance, copper, plastic and PE
imperial for waste, steel, threaded brass and endowment......

i cant see how anyone can just do metric?

I think the reference is saying 32mm is 1.25 inch instead of 1 1/4"

put that on paperwork and you look like an amateur.

Which do you think sounds biggest to a lady, 4 1/2 inches or 115 mil

what gas man was trying to say i think is 1.25 is a metric term the imperial equivilent to 1 1/2 so when you ask if 1.5 or 40mm you was realy comparing metric to metric .....i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Metric or imperial in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock